This forum is read-only - Please use our new Citavi Forum instead.
Dieses Forum dient nur zur Recherche - Bitte nutzen Sie das neue Citavi Forum für Ihre Fragen.

Bibiligraphy ans in text citation, building new citation fmt

Got questions about Citavi 5? The Citavi team and other users are happy to help.

Bibiligraphy ans in text citation, building new citation fmt

Postby Susan » 2017-08-20 13:28

System information: [ Citavi Version 5.0-5.5, Windows 10, English, Google Chrome, -, - ]

Hi,

I am attempting to build a new citation style, in line with my university's requirements (Newman university Birmingham UK). It is straightforward and I am managing, but I am having trouble setting the component properties of the Author ( and I presume perhaps other components when I get to them) in both the bibliography and the in text citation.

If I change the format of one of these Author components in the rule set eg the bibliography one that I have dragged in from the list on the left and set it in the rule set for biliography, the intext citation style also changes in my document, and vice versa but I want the rules for author in bibliography and in text citation to operate independently. For example, if I add brackets to my in text citation, as well as appearing in the intext citation, they also appear in the bibliography in the document. What am I doing wrong? Is it something to do with a template? Do the bibliography and the intext citation require differnt templates for author? I looked at this but it looked complicated.

If I can't fix this, I can't use Citavi! What would be the point as I cannot get the references correct for my university's style.

Also when I select insert advanced (with the citation style set to my new style) for an in text citation, I add the relevant page numbers into the page box, but they do not appear in the document into which I am inserting the citation.

Thank you

Sue
Susan

Re: Bibiligraphy ans in text citation, building new citation

Postby Sonja_Schwab » 2017-08-20 14:14

Dear Susan,
If you change the settings of a component, these changes will be effective everywhere where you use this component. In your case in the bibliography and the in text citation.
If you want to use different rules you have to duplicate the component and use one version of the component for the bibliography and one for in text citation.
For more details please be refered to the manual

Hope this helps!
Sonja
Sonja_Schwab
Citavi Expert

Postby Sonja_Schwab » 2017-08-20 14:22

Regarding your second question:

Susan wrote:Also when I select insert advanced (with the citation style set to my new style) for an in text citation, I add the relevant page numbers into the page box, but they do not appear in the document into which I am inserting the citation.

What does your rule set for in text citation look like? It needs to contain the component "pp. Quotation page range" to display the pages you provide.

Kind regards
Sonja
Sonja_Schwab
Citavi Expert

Postby Susan » 2017-08-20 16:33

Sonja thanks for this.

I have got the first bit to work I think, and I will look at the pp. part and come back if I still have issues,. This was really useful thanks :-)
Sue
Susan

Return to Citavi 5 Support (English)