This forum is read-only - Please use our new Citavi Forum instead.
Dieses Forum dient nur zur Recherche - Bitte nutzen Sie das neue Citavi Forum für Ihre Fragen.

Page range prefix and tricky numeral systems Topic is solved

Got questions about Citavi 5? The Citavi team and other users are happy to help.

Page range prefix and tricky numeral systems

Postby AnimusAstralis » 2017-08-16 20:54

System information: [ Citavi Version 5.6, Windows 10, English, Firefox 43 or newer, MS Office 2016, Acrobat DC ]

Hello. I want to raise an issue which is neither a bug nor a proposition worthy of Wishlist sub-forum. Yet I believe it should be addressed sooner or later.

I usually deal with the references which have standard page ranges expressed in Arabic numerals. Sometimes I put a phrase "In press" into page range field. Yet only recently I stumbled upon a tricky problem: after I edited a reference (after it was published) and replaced "In press" phrase with actual page range numbers, the numeral system for the page range field didn't switch back to Arabic numerals. And as you may guess, most citation styles stopped displaying page range prefixes.

I noticed it only by accident when my colleague pointed out that I didn't have necessary prefixes. I'll skip a really long story of how I was trying to identify the source of this problem. :) I use Citavi since early 4th version and I never had to manually choose a numeral system. Did it have an autoswitch before? I can't say for sure, but I'm almost certain that I had executed the routine I described above before. I never had any issues with prefixes though.

I think that if numeral system can't be switched back to Arabic numerals automatically, we need some kind of notification that numeral system doesn't fit entered data.
AnimusAstralis

Re: Page range prefix and tricky numeral systems  Topic is solved

Postby Sebastian Pabel » 2017-08-18 06:45

Hello,

there have been significant changes concerning the handling of page ranges in. I must admit that we didn't think about "in press" and that one might want to change it back to a simple number once the reference has been properly published. The reason why it worked before is that "arabic numerals" accepted all kinds of extra characters that were later printed in the bibliography. Citavi has become stricter here to deal better with certain kinds of page ranges.

However, this results in the loss of prefixes if you have simple numbers and do not revert the numbering system. I'm afraid that an automatic solution isn't easily possible: Citavi doesn't know which numbering system you want when changing "in press" to "122-123". It could be pages, but it could also be paragraphs.

I'll file a change request for our developers so that Citavi asks if you really want to enter pure numbers as "Default (as entered)".

Best regards
Sebastian

Did we answer your question completely? If so, please click the green check mark in the upper-right corner of this post. This helps other users find the solution to their questions.
Sebastian Pabel
Site Admin

Re: Page range prefix and tricky numeral systems

Postby jay-squared » 2017-08-18 12:56

There is a solution for the fiddler (and Sebastian is to blame for opening that can of worms). The field codes are simply Base64 encoded XML data sets. One could write a Word macro that iterates through the fields in the selection or the entire document, checks whether the field code contains the words "ADDIN CITAVI.PLACEHOLDER", if so decodes the Base64, checks whether the strings in the tags "<EndPage>" and "<StartPage>" is well-formatted and whether the "<NumeralSystem>" is set to "Omit", and if so changes that to Arabic and then converts the entire code back to Base 64. That is not per se complicated, but writing the code takes some time. For inspiration, I have done something similar in order to combine individual placeholder citations in one combined placeholder citation. That won't address this problem

Citavi doesn't know which numbering system you want when changing "in press" to "122-123". It could be pages, but it could also be paragraphs.

but I guess it will be mostly pages anyways.
jay-squared
Citavi Expert

Postby jay-squared » 2017-08-18 18:27

It just occurred to me: one could write the pagination type in a free text field in the reference and then make a decision between pages and paragraph/margin numbers, etc. based on the context of that field, as it will also appear in the XML.
jay-squared
Citavi Expert

Postby AnimusAstralis » 2017-08-19 21:26

Ok, I get it, thanks for the answer. It isn't really a problem to check numeral system while editing references. However, it may come as an unpleasant surprise for new users.

I consider changing the name of 'Default' category to 'Text' (or something similar) and display the format of page range somewhere near page range field. Of course, it's just my amateurish opinion, I believe you'll find much more elegant solution.
AnimusAstralis

Postby Sebastian Pabel » 2017-08-21 09:50

Hello,

I agree, the English translation does not convey the same meaning as the German name of the option. The German is "Unverändert (wie Eingabe)", literally "Unchanged (like input)".

Best regards
Sebastian

Did we answer your question completely? If so, please click the green check mark in the upper-right corner of this post. This helps other users find the solution to their questions.
Sebastian Pabel
Site Admin

Return to Citavi 5 Support (English)