This forum is read-only - Please use our new Citavi Forum instead.
Dieses Forum dient nur zur Recherche - Bitte nutzen Sie das neue Citavi Forum für Ihre Fragen.

Convert Citavi In-Text Citation to Endnotes Topic is solved

Got questions about Citavi 5? The Citavi team and other users are happy to help.

Convert Citavi In-Text Citation to Endnotes

Postby ethno » 2016-12-26 21:18

System information: [ Citavi Version 5.x Beta, Windows 10, English, Firefox 43 or newer, MS Office 2016, Acrobat XI ]

Hi. I have a very large document (about 16000 words) in which I have many, many in-text citations inserted using the Citavi Word Add-In. Everything there looks/works great. However, given where I expect now to be able to publish this work, I have to convert all the in-text citations (and the bibliography associated with the citations made in-text) to endnotes. If it were a matter of converting between styles, that's not a big deal. However, this is a rather significant change. I wasn't sure that I could be done within Citavi. I searched, however, and found this page:

https://service.citavi.com/kb/a472/3104 ... tions.aspx

It's dated 2013, but it's the only reference that I could find to such a process of conversion. Although it appears intended to convert to footnotes from in-text citations (or the other way, apparently), I figured that I could at least get to footnotes and then use MS Word to convert from footnotes to endnotes, which is possible.

I used the program available through the link on the above webpage, but although it appeared to be able to do all that was necessary, after finding the Word document in which I wanted to make the conversions and selecting the proper conversion, it popped up a message saying that it was complete but that "0" (that's a zero) conversions were made from in-text citations to footnotes. It then automatically opened a renamed Word document and I could see that nothing was changed.

So ... what's going on? Is this program not working with the latest Citavi? Or do I have other issues? I had a few endnotes in the document that I was attempting to run the conversion on. However, I eliminated them to be sure that this wasn't causing issues. No change.

Thanks for any help that you can provide.

Brian
ethno

Re: Convert Citavi In-Text Citation to Endnotes

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2016-12-27 08:22

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your question! Would you please check that you first save a copy of your document with placeholders and then use the tool with this document? The tool only works with placeholders and not with Citavi fields.

In the Word Add-In, on the Citavi ribbon, click Convert > Save a copy with Citavi placeholders.

If you are located in the U.S., the placeholder conversion option will not be available to you due to a patent restriction. If this is the case, you can send us your document and project and we can convert the in-text citations to footnotes for you. We'll then send you back a document with footnotes in Citavi fields.

To transfer the files, please use our secure upload service. So that we can match the files to the issue, please put the address of this page in the message field.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Postby Ali Galal » 2017-03-23 22:24

Some Workarounds and tips to convert in-text citations to footnotes (Or vice versa) in a better way:
1-After finishing your original in-text cited paper, choose all text in footnote and highlight it with a different color so you can distinguish your own notes from converted citations
2-You can create two "dummy references" in each Citavi project (or just create them in one project and copy in othes):
a- zzzm (as both author and title , better as an unknown type reference to indicate multiple references) and
b- zzzf(to indicate a footnote where you want to combine both notes and citations and want it to be transferred to in-text in case of conversion)
You can choose any other shorter names for these dummy variables but try to choose unique names that you can search for and delete (or change colors/hide) without problems in the final version of your MSWORD document.
3- To decrease the problems of multiple in-text references turning to multiple footnotes:
After selecting the Multiple references you need to cite in-text, move the cursor to the end of the last reference, and then add the dummy variable zzzm. This way, when using Citavi placeholders converter, all the real multiple references will be inserted as one footnote, and the dummy variable only will be inserted as a new footnote.. It will be easier to search for this dummy variable in MSWORD to make sure that the preceding multiple references are converted correctly and to delete this dummy variable in the final copy.
4- To decrease the problems of footnotes references with manually added notes not turning to in-text citations: For the footnotes you think you will need to convert (with their manual added notes) into in-text citation: begin the footnote with the dummy reference zzzf and end the footnote with the same dummy variable.
For some reason, the citavi placeholders converter will move the entire footnote (even if it has manually added notes) to in-text if there is a reference in its beginning and another reference in its ending. User can use any reference but creating a dummy reference helps the purposes of revision and replacement (easy to search for and replace in MSWORD). In addition, if you don't want to start or finish your footnote with an actual reference (and still want this note to be converted to in-text in the future), the dummy variable will be useful in such cases.
5-In the Final copy, delete all zzzm and zzzf by using ctrl+h in MSWORD to replace all instances with empty space. An additional revision to correct punctuations may be needed.
These steps may look lengthy, but they will useful in cases of long documents.

Of course if there is a way to include these workarounds and the idea of dummy variables in Citavi itself it will be much easier.
Sorry for the lengthy post and any writing mistakes as English is not my first language.. And thanks again for this wonderful software that keeps getting better
Ali Galal

Postby Peter Meurer » 2017-03-24 08:26

Please see my answer here.

Regards,
Peter
Peter Meurer
Citavi Customer Service

Postby ethno » 2017-09-22 19:15

My project was delayed considerably, thus I've not had a chance (until now) to investigate and attempt to apply Peter's instructions. Following the link above in Peter's post takes you to here: https://support.citavi.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9419&p=62364#p62373, which then you would follow to the support document here: https://service.citavi.com/kb/a472/31041-converting-in-text-citations-to-footnote-citations.aspx?translation-detect=false. As it turns out, in Word (Windows 10, MS Office 2016, Citavi 5.6.0.2), the instructions do not list an option to "Save a copy with Citavi placeholders" as required in the first step.

citavi sc01.JPG

The instructions does not speak to country/region specific limitations. However, I recalled that Jennifer (at Citavi CS) noted a patent restriction. So ... for those of us in places (I'm in the US) who need to perform this task, do we have an option to do this ourselves or do we need to upload this to you to perform? If so, that's fine. I think I also saw that you may be working to implement this within Citavi (without the separate conversion utility) in v. 6 ... but I'm needing this now.

Thank you for all help that you can provide.
ethno

Postby ethno » 2017-09-22 20:27

Tried the Citavi Beta 6 (which, as suggested, has the utility built-in) to accomplish the conversion. Tried three times and each led to failure. One attempt appeared to create just a few actual conversions out of probably a hundred or more in-text citations in document of about 20,000 words. This attempt appeared to totally fail and gave a non-English prompt for information to be sent (presumably) back to Citavi. I filled it out with a description of what I was doing. Another attempt failed without any conversion (but as in the first attempt) a file was created. This did not produce a message within Citavi--instead Windows Error Reporting crashed. The final attempt was as the first, but without any conversion. So, still working on it.
ethno

Re: Convert Citavi In-Text Citation to Endnotes  Topic is solved

Postby Damien Reddy » 2017-09-25 16:20

Dear Brian,

Thank you for following up with us.

We still would be happy to help you with your document - you can send us your document and project and we can convert the in-text citations to footnotes for you. We'll then send you back a document with footnotes in Citavi fields.

To transfer the files, please use our secure upload service. So that we can match the files to the issue, please put the address of this page in the message field.

Kind regards,
Damien

Did we answer your question to your satisfaction? If so, please click the green check mark in the upper-right corner of this post. This helps other users find solutions to their questions.
Damien Reddy
Citavi Customer Service

Postby ethno » 2017-09-25 16:47

Thank you, Damien. I have just use the transfer service to send the files to your office. I appreciate that you'll take care of this for me. I'm on deadline and will certainly benefit to have this done. Hope to see it successfully implemented in the final version of Citavi 6.
ethno

Return to Citavi 5 Support (English)