This forum is read-only - Please use our new Citavi Forum instead.
Dieses Forum dient nur zur Recherche - Bitte nutzen Sie das neue Citavi Forum für Ihre Fragen.

Highlighting problem with Citavi 5 Beta 1

Download and discuss pre-release versions of Citavi.

Highlighting problem with Citavi 5 Beta 1

Postby francescoragazzi » 2015-03-13 09:07

Hi there,

Congratulations on the Citavi 5 improvements, they really render Nvivo and other QDA software obsolete for many people who only used the basic highlighting / categorizing function. This is such a great improvement, it makes Citavi the best information organizer by far.

I however have a problem with highlighting now. I am using a Mac, running Citavi via Parallels 10, running Windows 7. In my current installation of Citavi 5 beta 1, the highlights are not transparent, they basically entirely cover the text with color, as if they were painted over. I can therefore not see what I highlighted anymore on the PDF. Do you know why that might be the case and how I could solve this?

Thank you very much, looking forward to final version of Citavi 5 !!
Best,

Francesco.
francescoragazzi

Re: Highlighting problem with Citavi 5 Beta 1

Postby Patrick Hilt » 2015-03-13 11:50

Hello Francesco,

Thank you very much for letting us know about this error. We have seen it before on a very old computer where the graphics adapter could not deal with the layers, but this is probably not the cause here.

I have created a bug ticket, we will analyse the problem.

Best regards
Patrick
Patrick Hilt
Citavi Customer Service

Postby francescoragazzi » 2015-03-22 19:40

Dear Patrick,

Thank you very much. I am really curious to hear the solution, because at this point Citavi 5 is pretty much unusable for me...I am really looking forward to the highlight / direct quotation feature, so I hope it can be resolved! I have no idea where to turn to at this point. Any idea what I could try?

Thanks!

Francesco.
francescoragazzi

Postby Patrick Hilt » 2015-03-23 08:58

Hello Francesco,

In order to better understand what is happening, we have created a small AddOn for Citavi that creates an error report. We would really appreciate it if you could create the report and send it to service@citavi.com. All in all, it will not take more than a couple of minutes.

This is what you have to do:
Install AddOn (you need to be an administrator):
1. Close Citavi 5.
2. Download this zip file.
3. Unzip it.
4. Copy both files EffectValidationAddon.dll and PDFNet.dll into the directory C:\Program Files (x86)\Citavi 5\AddOns. If the directory AddOns does not exist, please create it.

Start AddOn:
1. Start Citavi 5.
2. Choose New local project on the welcome screen and name the project as you like.
3. Drag a pdf file into the title column:

4. Click on the new menu item Validierung. If you get an error, please ignore it. If Citavi crashes, simple delete the AddOn again as explained below.

Create report:
1. A new window is opened. Make a screenshot of the window.
2. Klick into the text section at the bottom and copy the whole text (CTRL+A to highlight, CTRL+C to copy the highlighted text)
3. Create an email to service@citavi.com
4. Insert the text copied in 2 into the email with CTRL+V
5. Add screen resolution, DPI value in windows and your graphics adapter.
6. Add the screenshot.
7. Send us the email.

Delete AddOn:
1. Close Citavi.
2. Delete the files EffectValidationAddon.dll and PDFNet.dll from C:\Program Files (x86)\Citavi 5\AddOns.
3. Delete the new project from C:\Users\[Your.name]\Documents\Citavi 5\Projects\.

Thank you very much for you help!

Best regards
Patrick
Patrick Hilt
Citavi Customer Service

Postby Patrick Hilt » 2015-03-23 09:10

Hello Francesco,

Thank you very much for your appreciation. Is there anything else Citavi would need to be a real alternative to nvivo and other QDA software, or are the highlighting and categorizing functions sufficient? We are of course not talking about people that need the advanced features of QDA software.

Best regards
Patrick
Patrick Hilt
Citavi Customer Service

Postby francescoragazzi » 2015-03-23 21:05

Dear Patrick

Thanks for this. I will follow your instructions for the addon today or tomorrow. As for comparing to the basic functions of NVIVO and other related software, at this point I would say that the features of Citavi 5 (provided it works on my mac:) are clearly enough to be them. I addressed this in another post, but at this point what is missing for me is 1) mac support 2) easy annotation feature on iPad directly to Citavi 3) Easy annotation feature on the web directly to Citavi 4) easy import of PDF/References directly from the web. I know all of this is coming to the Web version after Citavi 5, so I'll wait !!. Best - F.
francescoragazzi

Postby francescoragazzi » 2015-03-23 21:21

Dear Patrick
The email is coming your way with all the data.
Thanks again
Francesco.
francescoragazzi

Postby Patrick Hilt » 2015-03-24 10:04

Dear Francesco,

Unfortunately, the email never reached us. Would you mind sending the data again?

To transfer the files, please use our secure upload service. So that we can match the files to the issue, please put the address of this page in the message field.

Thank you!
Patrick
Patrick Hilt
Citavi Customer Service

Postby francescoragazzi » 2015-03-25 06:56

Strange...Well, it's uploaded now!
Best,
Francesco.
francescoragazzi

Highlighting problem with Citavi 5, Mac with Parallels Deskt

Postby francescoragazzi » 2015-03-25 07:11

Dear Patrick,

I found the solution to my problem, it was Parallels Desktop for Mac OSX.

In the "Hardware" settings of the virtual machine, I needed to change the "Video" settings to "3D acceleration:DirectX10" instead of "None".

ParallelsVideoSettings.jpg

I changed the topic title to point other readers who might have the same problem here.

Thanks again for your help!

Francesco.
francescoragazzi

Return to Preview and Beta Versions