This forum is read-only - Please use our new Citavi Forum instead.
Dieses Forum dient nur zur Recherche - Bitte nutzen Sie das neue Citavi Forum für Ihre Fragen.

Ideal hardware (ereader/tablet) for smooth workflow?

Got questions about Citavi 4? The Citavi team and other users are happy to help.

Re: Ideal hardware (ereader/tablet) for smooth workflow?

Postby Patrick Hilt » 2015-04-16 18:22

Hello Anna,

When I wrote "quotation", I was referring to any kind of knowledge item.
Thank you again.

Best regards
Patrick
Patrick Hilt
Citavi Customer Service

Postby Adama » 2015-04-19 18:52

Dear Anna,

I was very happy to read about your experiences with tablet since I borrowed a surface pro 3 with the intention to test citavi on a tablet. Through this forum I've learned a lot about the limitations.

My experience was, that I would prefer to use Acrobat DC for reading... if the picker functionality would be optimized for a tablet. There were several drawbacks, like the size of the window and the removing of the breaks like you reported.

My favourite would have been to "read on the go" with DC and save the citations right away. However there were far to many clicks for the fingers and one cannot hide the menues. To use the digitizer was even more difficult, because it was hard to change between scrolling and selecting the text. The digitizer would at least theoretically have the advantage of using right/left clicks of the buttons and make it possible to hide the menues.
Have you different ecperiences with DC ?

It could be one way to optimize citavi for tablets through the Picker for acrobat DC !?

Best Regards
ADAM
Adama

Postby Patrick Hilt » 2015-04-20 16:55

Hello Adam,

Have you tried the PDF annotating feature in Citavi 5? We recommend it over the use of Acrobat DC, because if you create a knowledge item by selecting it in the preview, a colour highlight is created in the PDF and a link between the place in the PDF and the knowledge item is created. If you the picker in DC, you can create knowledge items, too, but they are not linked to the place in the PDF where they were taken from and the text in the PDF is not highlighted.

Best regards
Patrick
Patrick Hilt
Citavi Customer Service

Postby Adama » 2015-04-22 07:33

Dear Patrick,

it is nice to have solutions for problems, I was not aware of.

But the citavi window is not optimized for tablets:
- I cannot scroll with finger/digiter but need the scrollbar
- I have bars and menues on the top/left/bottom -> the window area for text is too small.

With DC I can extend the article over the whole screen and the menues pop-up on request. However I would need a direct shortcut to save a citation since it is now hidden in a submenue. Then happens the second thing: the window is opened in citavi5, but citavi is not opened. I need to reduce the DC window and choose the right citavi window for the startbar (I have several citavi windows open).

I am fully aware that I cannot use the full functionality of citavi on a tablet and it is OK. But since the picking of a citation from DC needs submenues, manual opening of windows and last but not least, the manual removal of breaks, it is unfortunately not feasible on a tablet.

You could add a "hand-button" beside the colours and text-choosing buttons. But still I would need a way to enlargen the textwindow in citavi.
Or you could smoothen the DC-picker.

I will continue to use my notebook together with a 26'' monitor, which is not so bad either.

Best regards
Adam
Adama

Postby Anna34 » 2015-04-22 15:43

Yes, I am also giving up on the tablet - mostly for the frustration of trying to select the right piece of text. I also have a digitizer stylus, which I thought would be as quick and accurate as the mouse. But, helas - this is not the case.

I guess Citavi does not have time/resources to implement a tablet-friendly viewer; that is indeed a big task. But maybe at least improve the support of regular pdf commenting, so we could use external programs? So far only highlights can be imported, and those only one by one.

I used to use Docear, which is opensource and great for automatic extraction of notes and highlights from my pdfs which I made with a different reader program. Unfortunately, I never could get used to mindmaps for outlining, so is why I looked into Citavi.

With Docear, as a quick workaround, I got used to creating a highlight with the text of quotation copied into it, and then I would also add my own comments after a #symbol. Then I could search for those symbols and convert them to tags or categories for my highlights; ideally this would be done with a script. Is there a possibility to do something like that in Citavi?
Anna34

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2015-04-22 16:50

Dear Adama and Anna34,

Thank you both very much for your comments. Indeed, the PDF component in Citavi does have the issues you've described. I will add your comments to our wish list and hopefully we can optimize this part of the program in the future. It's very likely that we'll only be able to make Citavi truly "tablet-friendly" in the coming web version, though.

It's possible that we might add the ability to import notes or other annotation types in the future. I'll add this request to our wish list for new features.

If I'm understanding correctly how you were working with Docear, the red highlighter might be a good alternative in Citavi. It lets you highlight text and then create a core statement or add keywords or categories to it:
http://www.citavi.com/sub/manual5/de/in ... rkers.html

Thank you both again for your feedback! We really appreciate it!

Best regards,
Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Postby Anna34 » 2015-04-22 22:59

Yes, it's the red highlighter that I would be using most. The problem is, with Docear I could do it with a regular pdf comment on my Android phone, and with Citavi I am tied down to the huge monitor at home.

Looking forward to the web version!
Anna34

Postby Anna34 » 2015-04-27 13:11

Ahem...
So I now have Citavi 4.9.6.218 on the same tablet. The behavior for pop-up windows in right-pane-only mode did not change! That is, there are still no pop-up-windows, not even for the red highliter. Am I missing some setting?
Anna34

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2015-04-27 13:42

Hi Anna34,

Thanks for your comment! Unfortunately, this feature has not yet been added. This will take us a little while to program yet, and I'm not sure exactly when it will be available.

Many thanks in advance for your patience!

Best regards,
Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Postby xkater » 2015-04-27 22:51

Hi All:
I just installed Adobe DC and CItavi 5 on my HP Omni 10 (Win 8.1\32GB SSD\ 2GB RAM - i added 64GB SD card) which i like - particularly because it was so cheap ($229) - and it works with 'Adobe DC' as one would hope.
I commented on a downloaded PDF in 'DC' and then imported it as a new Reference in CItavi 5, and the highlights were there, although, all 'types' of annotation displayed as highlighting. (I didn't try all the different types, though)
The 'OMNI 10' is great as an e-reader (i use Adobe DIgital Editions - my library requires it to download books) and it comes with Office (Fac/Student) 2013 installed - it can run most software including Photoshop! It highly benefits from a hardware keyboard (as many tablets do), though, but then is a usable, full-featured laptop.
CITAVI 5 works fine in 'Landscape' (wide) mode, but is slightly too narrow in Portrait mode.
xkater

PreviousNext

Return to Citavi 4 Support (English)