This forum is read-only - Please use our new Citavi Forum instead.
Dieses Forum dient nur zur Recherche - Bitte nutzen Sie das neue Citavi Forum für Ihre Fragen.

Citavi 4, 5 format compatibility

Download and discuss pre-release versions of Citavi.

Citavi 4, 5 format compatibility

Postby pharaoh » 2014-12-08 09:43

Dear Citavi Team,
I quite like Citavi 5, and the new features that have been introduced. As The Word Add-in was not stable in my Mac, I stopped using, and I confess I am not using Citavi 5 Preview, for the same reason that if I cannot use the Add-in, I prefer to stick with the working Citavi 4.
My question is about formats however. Citavi 5 upgrades the file from Citavi 4 and then use it. I have not tried, but I remember that at the time of the upgrade from Citavi 3 to 4, Citavi 4 format could not be read by Citavi 3.
Such upgrading however means that different machines need the same Citavi version in order to interact. But if you are still stuck with Windows XP for instance, you are still using Citavi 3.
So I go to my question: is any sort of export to earlier versions planned for Citavi 5?
I also think for later stages, when the web version of Citavi will be functional in the next couple of years. Can the format of Citavi be left the same, in spite of the fact that newer versions of Citavi may come, with new functionalities and so forth? As said, the exigence of software and budget may not match, so someone may stick with an older version of the product, while having the new version in a different computer.

Roberto
pharaoh

Re: Citavi 4, 5 format compatibility

Postby Sebastian Pabel » 2014-12-10 09:56

Dear Roberto

Thank you for your message and your kind words about Citavi 5. As there are improvements in the data structure between each version, it is not possible to open a project from a newer version with an older one. While this has been an issue in the past because some people were still stuck with Windows XP and Citavi 3, it shouldn't be one in the future as the market share of XP is rapidly declining.

The project database is the core of Citavi, so real improvements are impossible to achieve without making changes to its structure. While it will be possible to convert Citavi 5 projects to Citavi 4, I currently don't have details about what this process will excatly look like.

It is very unlikely that a user will install the recent version on one machine and an older one on another because the licence allows them to install the version they bought (or got via a site licence) on several machines.

Please note that the Citavi 5 preview version is not intended for productive use but only for testing purposes.

Kind regards
Sebastian

Did we answer your question completely? If so, please click the green check mark in the upper-right corner of this post. This helps other users find the solution to their questions.
Sebastian Pabel
Site Admin

Postby DrAlex » 2015-03-18 10:50

I have a large database, which I use constantly. When I opened it with Citavi ver.5, as I remember, the program did not warn, that keep the base in the new format, and in an another completely different file. So I worked several days in the Citavi 4 and Citavi 5 thinking, that i work with one file.

Now the problem is: how to easily transfer all changes within a few days of the fifth base in the fourth? And changes in the same period of the 4th to 5th? Or simply combine them? In short - synchronization between databases.
DrAlex

Postby Sebastian Pabel » 2015-03-18 14:08

Hi DrAlex

When first opening a Citavi 4 project in Citavi 5, Citavi tells you that it will convert the project file and save it in a new location. An automatic synchronisation between the files is, unfortunately, not possible.

What you can do, however, is the following. Open your Citavi 4 project. Click on the Solo Project button in the bottom right corner of the Citavi window. Here you can select a time span for making a selection of titles that were modified within this time span.

You can now copy the selection of these titles via References > Copy or move to a Citavi project into a new Citavi 4 project.

Once this is done, you can open this new Citavi 4 project in Citavi 5, which will result in a new Citavi 5 project with these titles. You can then copy these titles via References > Copy or move to a Citavi project to your existing Citavi 5 project.

This procedure may lead to duplicate entries in your Citavi 5 project, which you can have displayed by References > Show duplicates only.

Kind regards
Sebastian

Did we answer your question completely? If so, please click the green check mark in the upper-right corner of this post. This helps other users find the solution to their questions.
Sebastian Pabel
Site Admin

Postby DrAlex » 2015-03-23 08:38

If I understand correctly - it will only work in Citavi.5 - Citavi.4 not support the format of ver.5, and it's impossible directly to copy from the database Citavi.5 to ver.4.

I want to have a complete database for Citavi 4. it is possible to solve if the program will be able to save under different versions.
DrAlex

Postby Peter Meurer » 2015-04-07 13:30

Hello

We have released Citavi 5 Beta 3 today. Would you please install the update? In our FAQ you will find a macro to downgrade a Citavi 5 project into the format of Citavi 4.

Kind regards,
Peter
Peter Meurer
Citavi Customer Service

Postby pharaoh » 2015-04-08 03:20

Dear Peter,
I have just checked the FAQ page you mention, but the link is still for downgrading from CItavi 4 to Citavi 3. I tried to run the macro anyway in Citavi 5 Preview 3, but it gives an error.

I can post the error, but I believe that the macro might not be correct. Happy to say I am wrong...

Roberto
pharaoh

Postby Peter Meurer » 2015-04-08 05:48

Dear Roberto

Please excuse my mistake: I have posted the wrong link. May I kindly ask you to follow the link again which I have corrected now?

Kind regards,
Peter
Peter Meurer
Citavi Customer Service

Return to Preview and Beta Versions