This forum is read-only - Please use our new Citavi Forum instead.
Dieses Forum dient nur zur Recherche - Bitte nutzen Sie das neue Citavi Forum für Ihre Fragen.

Citavi importing Zotero "Bill" item (.bib) as unknown

Got questions about Citavi 5? The Citavi team and other users are happy to help.

Citavi importing Zotero "Bill" item (.bib) as unknown

Postby carloscadu » 2016-09-02 03:16

System information: [ -, -, -, -, -, - ]

Hi,

I would appreciate help:

I have many legal documents and legislation registered in Zotero under the item "Bill".

After importing into Citavi through .bib file, the type of item is set as "unknown" in Citavi.

a) Is there any way to adjust the import process in order to set the correspondence between Zotero's Bill and Citavi item for registering Bill/Legislation?

b) Even I need to change manually the "unknown", what is the equivalent item in Citavi, which corresponds to Bill?

Thanks,
Carlos_
carloscadu

Re: Citavi importing Zotero "Bill" item (.bib) as unknown

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2016-09-02 12:05

Hi carloscadu,

Thanks for your question! Could you by any chance send us a test Zotero export file in .bib format with three or four bills? We can then take a look if it's possible to adjust the import mapping.

To transfer the files, please use our secure upload service. So that we can match the files to the issue, please put the address of this page in the message field.

Citavi doesn't have a "Bill" reference type, but either Report or gray literature or Statute or regulation would probably be the closest match.

Best regards,
Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Postby carloscadu » 2016-09-02 15:48

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for reply! I sent the Zotero .bib. file (with 4 samples) to the secure upload service, as requested by you.

This is the expected format for a BILL reference in ABNT style:
BRASIL. Lei n. 3.071, de 1º de Janeiro de 1916. Institui o Código Civil Brasileiro. Brasília, 1916. Disponível em: <www.planalto.gov.br>. Acesso em: 8 mar. 2012.

I think that "Statute or regulation" is the best match for "BILL" in Citavi. In that case, further comments having the Citavi output as reference:

Institui o Código Civil Brasileiro, 1916. Disponível em: <www.planalto.gov.br>. Acesso em: 8 mar. 2012, 12:00:00.

- "Bill number" (Lei nº 3.071, de 1º de Janeiro de 1916) is removed.
- "Place of publication" isn't appearing (Brasília)
- ABNT doesn't use time (12:00:00) in "Acesso em", as it is being generated by Citavi. Just day, month and year is OK. It is common to any ABNT reference type and could be adjusted in the default Citavi ABNT style.

If you need further info, please let me know.

Kind regards,
Carlos
carloscadu

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2016-09-02 17:03

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for the file! I'll take a look at the import filter with our developer next week and will let you know after that if it's possible to change the filter.

Thanks again!

Best regards,
Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2016-09-14 16:28

Hi Carlos,

Thank you for sending the file, and please accept my apologies for the slow response!

We've taken a look at the export file, and there's unfortunately no way to distinguish the bills from other "unknown" references since they all are exported with the "misc" reference type. We could create a customized import mapping for you so that all unknown files are imported as the reference type Statute or regulation and so the information in the Notes field is instead imported as Legislature / Authority. You could then create an export file in Zotero just for your bills and another export file with all of the other references. You would use the one filter to export the bills and the default filter to import all the other references. Would this be an option for you?

As far as the style is concerned, if the Notes field contents are imported into the Legislature / Authority field, they should appear in the correct spot. Just to be sure, in the example you provided, "Brasília, Senado Federal" is the legislature, right? There unfortunately is no Place of publication field for the Statute or Regulation reference type.

As far as the access time is concerned, I did find an example of such an access date in the ABNT guidelines:
ALVES, Castro. Navio negreiro. [S.l.]: Virtual Books, 2000. Disponível
em: <http://www.terra.com.br/virtualbooks/freebook/port/Lport2/
navionegreiro.htm>. Acesso em: 10 jan. 2002, 16:30:30.

However, it seems like that shouldn't be the default, since all other examples did not show the exact time. I've changed the style and uploaded it, so when you restart Citavi the time information should disappear.

Best regards,
Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Postby carloscadu » 2016-09-14 16:55

Hi Jennifer,

a) "You would use the one filter to export the bills and the default filter to import all the other references. Would this be an option for you?"
=> Sure. Looking forward to testing it.

b) In the following link you can access a Guide for using Zotero's ABNT style: http://www.face.ufmg.br/biblioteca/servicos.html
You will need to download the PDF entitled "Guia Zotero ABNT".
There you will find the most common references with examples.
I exported the exemples in the guide to .bib .ris .rdf formats (see attachment in this thread).

I'm so delighted exploring Citavi's database side that I haven't paid the necessary attention to all aspects of Citavi's ABNT output. When that time arrives I will let you know my findings.

Cheers,
Carlos
Attachments
References ABNT.zip
(6.69 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
carloscadu

Postby Sebastian Pabel » 2016-09-16 12:57

Hi, Carlos,

please find the modified import filter attached. Extract the ZIP file and copy the content to \Documents\Citavi 5\Settings\Mappings\

After restarting Citavi please proceed as follows:

1.) Click File > Import > Text file (RIS, BibTeX, etc.) > Next
2.) Click Add import filter
3.) Type bibtex into the Name field
4.) Select BibTeX BILL and click Close.

Now you can continue importing the bib file as usual.

Best regards
Sebastian

Wurde Ihre Frage vollständig beantwortet? Bitte klicken Sie auf das grüne Häkchen (= Antwort akzeptieren) oben rechts in meiner Antwort. Andere Forenbenutzer können sich dann leichter orientieren, wenn sie auf der Suche nach einer Lösung sind.
Attachments
BibTeX-BILL.zip
(23.13 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
Sebastian Pabel
Site Admin

Return to Citavi 5 Support (English)