This forum is read-only - Please use our new Citavi Forum instead.
Dieses Forum dient nur zur Recherche - Bitte nutzen Sie das neue Citavi Forum für Ihre Fragen.

Automatic BibTeX-Export

Suggest features and improvements here. We always strive for the best!

Automatic BibTeX-Export

Postby petrushyna » 2013-06-06 14:21

Hello,

I'm very upset that Citavi 4 doesn't include this great feature. Therefore i'm writing to ensure you how important the feature is and how important it to solve the issue as soon as possible!!!! and not in unknown time: viewtopic.php?f=156&t=6634&p=22031&hilit=export+tex#p22031

Many other tools allow as well the knowledge tree, and the keys, and the ideas connected to papers, and citation texts connected to papers. So these things don't make CITAVI different from other citation tools. Neither improved citation style editor does.

Automatic creation of the BibTex is a great feature which save a lot of time. I can work just with the interface and add required citations in the tex/word and than just one click and all needed citations are exported.

So if you delete a feature that was earlier in the program, please say this. i converted all my citations to citavi4 and add other information before i saw that it doesn't support automatic export and now i can not convert ctv4 in ctv3, but it is another reason to be angry.

So i'm wondering as well what is the software development process you are following viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5621 as IT IS NOT OK just TO DELETE the features and DO NOT PROVIDE its substitutions.

I hope that the feature will soon appear in the fix.
petrushyna

Re: Automatic BibTeX-Export

Postby Patrick Hilt » 2013-06-07 09:27

Hello Petrushyna,

I am sorry that you need this feature so much.
As a matter of fact, it is a feature that created quite a lot of confusion for some LaTeX users, so we decided to suspend it for the time being.

What is wrong with the possibility to export all the titles in your Citavi project to a BibTeX file?
If you create an export preset with a specific BibTeX file (File > Export > Export), all you have to do is select the preset, that is not more than a click (and a little dragging of the mouse):

If you want to limit the BibTeX file to just the titles you use in a specific paper, you could add a specific category to every title you use in your paper:

If you do that right after you added the BibTeX key to your LaTeX document, and if you drag the title on the category in the 4th column on the left (Alt+5) it is no much of an extra effort. By clicking on this category in Citavi, only those titles are shown which have this category. You can then export all those titles to your BibTeX file via the preset in File > Export.

Best regards
Patrick
Patrick Hilt
Citavi Customer Service

Postby plersch » 2013-08-07 13:38

Hi,

I totally agree with petrushyna. The Automatic BibTeX-Export was a great feature of Citavi that I used regularly to prepare my Latex publications.

The work-around that Patrick suggests may be okay when starting a new publication. When continuing with an old project it would mean too much extra work. Consequently, I will have to export all of my references (>3,000) when working on older projects which takes considerably more time than the Automatic BibTeX-Export.

This is a substantial flaw in Citavi 4 that makes me regret that I have upgraded to the new version. I hope this will be fixed.

Best wishes,
Philipp
plersch

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2013-08-07 15:37

Hi Philipp and petruschyna,

You'll be happy to hear that this feature has been restored in the current beta version 4.1.54 (available at www.citavi.com/beta-info). However, the feature is now located under File > Export > Export > BibTeX. The option can be found at the bottom of the window:

As this is a beta version, the option has not yet been translated into English.

We're very sorry for the frustration the removal of this feature caused! Thanks so much for sharing your feedback so we knew how important it was!

Best regards,
Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Postby petrushyna » 2013-09-09 12:44

Hi, Jeniffer!

It is great. I'll try it now and let you know if anything.

@Philip thanks for support and i agree with your point as well. i have 15.000 references!

@Jeniffer thanks for hearing us!
petrushyna

Postby petrushyna » 2013-09-19 12:37

Hi, everything works fine, though it was not understandable from the first sight. For example, it was not clear if i should choose all publications or one publication for the export (if one publication is selected) . And the choice is actually irrelevant as only those references are taken that appear in the tex file. So i would suggest to separate this function from that general export. You can do it the same as it was ealier but in File-> Export ->Export to Tex

Thanks,
petrushyna

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2013-09-19 13:47

Hi petrushyna,

Thanks for your comments! Yes, I can see how it's a little confusing that there's a checkbox, when it might seem that by not checking it you would be able to export all publications. At the moment the only option is to export the references in the TeX file. I'll add your suggestion to change this back to the way it was (while keeping the current location) to our wishlist.

Thanks again!

Best regards,
Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Return to Wish List