This forum is read-only - Please use our new Citavi Forum instead.
Dieses Forum dient nur zur Recherche - Bitte nutzen Sie das neue Citavi Forum für Ihre Fragen.

Redefine the team project Topic is solved

Suggest features and improvements here. We always strive for the best!

Redefine the team project

Postby magicmonk » 2013-05-08 08:17

Hi,
I would like to share with you about my understanding about the concept of team project.The reason why I do this is that I have just had a misunderstanding and an unpleasant experience in team project of citavi several weeks ago which seems to only be availble in a single computer. That is to say every team member will have to be confined to a certain space range and they most probably have to improve their work separately.
I suggest that you should consider team project as a Internet group with privacy. The member of the gruop could change the project together in a local network anytime and anywhere and the project is of course saved and renewed in the internet as the members go on. Basically this group concept is somewhat like a social group(Say,wikipedia) where people can discuss and argue with each other at the meantime the data of members' improvements in the team project will be saved in the internet backup.
Best
magicmonk
magicmonk

Re: Redefine the team project  Topic is solved

Postby Patrick Hilt » 2013-05-10 16:23

Hello Magicmonk,

at the moment, you can use a Team project only if
a) the project is located on a windows network drive, and
b) every team member has access to this drive.

If two people want to change the project simultaneously, they have to have access to the same file at the same time. Via internet, this works only if windows takes care of the file, via the protocol SMB/CIFS. That is the reason why a solution like dropbox is not working, because with dropbox you always work with a local copy of the file.

Editing a Wikipedia article is comparably simple, because it consists of a plain text file. Even if two people edit the same article at the same time, their version simply gets a different number, and it is easy to merge them. This is not possible with a database like a citavi project.

We are aware of this limitation and we are working on a more flexible solution. I cannot tell you yet when it will be available, but in the meantime you have to use a windows network drive all team members have access to via the internet (ie. via a vpn connection) if you want to simultaneously edit a team project.

Best regards
Patrick
Patrick Hilt
Citavi Customer Service

Return to Wish List