This forum is read-only - Please use our new Citavi Forum instead.
Dieses Forum dient nur zur Recherche - Bitte nutzen Sie das neue Citavi Forum für Ihre Fragen.

A big wish list

Suggest features and improvements here. We always strive for the best!

Re: A big wish list

Postby Patrick Hilt » 2013-04-16 11:52

Hello Alex,

you can do that already, but your request implies that you add books as Collected Works, and every section that you want to reference you have to add as a contribution to the Collected Work.
As a result, your project will contain more titles.

Otherwise we would have to add a new field to knowledge items where such a section name could be entered optionally. I have added this requests to our internal wish list.

Best regards
Patrick

Did we answer your question completely? If so, please click the green check mark in the upper-right corner of this post. This helps other users find the solution to their questions.
Patrick Hilt
Citavi Customer Service

Postby DrAlex » 2013-04-16 12:24

Otherwise we would have to add a new field to knowledge items where such a section name could be entered optionally. I have added this requests to our internal wish list.

Thank you very much! I use the "Collected Works", but this is not enough and that's for a whole volume in a large series.

Sorry, fore I wrote so much to you - I'm just very like your program - it is very well thought and very, very comfortable. And I wish you all the best, because the programs of this high quality, in the software industry, is not so many - just only few.
DrAlex

Postby Patrick Hilt » 2013-04-16 14:42

Hello Alex,

thank you very much for your appreciation.
We always give our very best for the program and to support our users.

Collected Works is indeed meant for something else, but it can be used for what you want to do, I believe.
In what sense do you find it is not enough?

Citavi is in fact very flexible and can be adapted to support many different ways of doing research, and we have found many ways to stretch the possibilities of the program way beyond our original intentions. We believe that is one of the strenghts of Citavi. Just tell me what you want to do exactly, and maybe we will find a way to do it.

Best regards
Patrick
Patrick Hilt
Citavi Customer Service

Postby DrAlex » 2013-05-30 18:06

Hi! It's a New list, if you do not mind:

1. Labels to “Quotations” (or rating);
2. Ability to transform “thought” in a “quote” (in case, than at first was a quote without the reference - it easy way to rapidly store a quote as thought, and after than the reference was added, is needing to convert thought to a quote and link with the reference);
3. Option for automatic placement quotes in quotation marks;
4. Option to the author's name is automatically set at the beginning of the name of citations;
5. Add to quote formatting new characters: '<...>', '§'
6. The command "Duplicate" to quote (the right button);
7. The ability to synchronize and backup with dropbox, googledrive;
8. To maintain the last session of the on-line search (result list that do not reset when you exit);
9. When adding categories to the quotes: by holding down CTRL, the cursor moves only highlighted categories (that to meet the characters entered);
10. Extensions work with the "Table of Contents" (see nr.12 of first wishlist, that we discussed - now it more detalited):
- For each chapter to set the range of pages;
- according of number of page of the quote, automatically determine the chapter;
- The option for the automatic or manual adding of the chapter in the citations;
11. In “tasks&location”, on the right click over file – “location” – add command “open”.
12. preserving of formatting than quotation is added to project;
13. possibility of CTRL+C/V for categories;
14. standard covers for reference without covers (in case, than its doesn’t have);

Thank you :)
DrAlex

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2013-06-03 13:47

Hi DrAlex,

Thanks so much for the new list!

1. Labels to “Quotations” (or rating)

Can you please explain the use case for this? Would you like to be able to rate your quotes, so you can concentrate on using the best quotes you've collected when you start writing your paper? The Core statement field is already meant as a kind of label for the quotation.

2. Ability to transform “thought” in a “quote” (in case, than at first was a quote without the reference - it easy way to rapidly store a quote as thought, and after than the reference was added, is needing to convert thought to a quote and link with the reference)

I will add this to our wish list, but I'm not sure it will actually get developed. Thoughts are already quite separated from the different quotation types, which can easily be changed from one type to another.

3. Option for automatic placement quotes in quotation marks

What do you mean by this exactly? While it's not automatic, you can already insert quotes easily by highlighting the quotation and then clicking the quotation type:

4. Option to the author's name is automatically set at the beginning of the name of citations

I'm afraid I didn't quite understand this suggestion. Could you please explain it in further detail?

5. Add to quote formatting new characters: '<...>', '§'

I will add these to our wish list. You can already insert a § by right-clicking, pointing to Special characters and then clicking Windows Character Map:

6. The command "Duplicate" to quote (the right button)
7. The ability to synchronize and backup with dropbox, googledrive
8. To maintain the last session of the on-line search (result list that do not reset when you exit)
11. In “tasks&location”, on the right click over file – “location” – add command “open”.
13. possibility of CTRL+C/V for categories

I will add these requests to our wish list.

9. When adding categories to the quotes: by holding down CTRL, the cursor moves only highlighted categories (that to meet the characters entered)
10. Extensions work with the "Table of Contents" (see nr.12 of first wishlist, that we discussed - now it more detalited):
- according of number of page of the quote, automatically determine the chapter;
- The option for the automatic or manual adding of the chapter in the citations;
12. preserving of formatting than quotation is added to project

I didn't understand these three points, unfortunately. Could you please explain in greater detail?

14. standard covers for reference without covers (in case, than its doesn’t have)

For this point I guess I'm not sure why it would be an advantage to have some kind of default cover if one wasn't able to be found online for a particular reference. The following options are already available for covers:

Thanks again!

Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Postby DrAlex » 2013-06-07 07:39

Would you like to be able to rate your quotes, so you can concentrate on using the best quotes you've collected when you start writing your paper?

Yes, exactly. In this case it is possible to use, blue and red labeles as in Reference.

but I'm not sure it will actually get developed.
(about "thoughts")
OK, but may be, possibility to add the unbound (unlinked, independent) quote, which can be link to any book with all keywords, after founding and adding the necessary book (reference).

While it's not automatic, you can already insert quotes easily by highlighting the quotation and then clicking the quotation type:

Yes, I know about that, but all the quotes are usually inserted in the text in the quotation marks, and when you type a large database of citations, we have to make a lot of extra clicks.

4. Option to the author's name is automatically set at the beginning of the name of citations;
Jennifer: Could you please explain it in further detail?

All quotes are linked to specific books and authors, respectively. To make it easier to navigate in the base "knowledge" among the huge number of quotes, even separated by keywords or categories, I usually add the author's name with colon in the core statement before heading. For example:
"Jhon Smith: Citavi is a cool software"
DrAlex

Postby DrAlex » 2013-06-07 07:46

I didn't understand these three points, unfortunately. Could you please explain in greater detail?

9.When adding categories to the quotes: by holding down CTRL, the cursor moves only highlighted categories (that to meet the characters entered).

I attached jpg.
ctrl.jpg
old CTRL to navigate
DrAlex

Postby DrAlex » 2013-06-07 08:01

In many cases, we have to add not just only a quote from the book, but the title of the chapter or even paragraph (subtitle) the origin of the quote. For exemple:

In text:
"The Citavi is a cool software». Jhon Smith, [1, P.62], "Getting Started"

Bibliography

[1] Jhon Smith "Citavi:The best software of 2013"

In the book:
The structure of the book (the table of contents):

1.Contents .................................................pp.1-5
2.Installing Citavi and Checking for Updates...........pp.6-61
3.Getting Started..........................................pp.62-156
4.Citavi in Detail...........................................pp.157-226
DrAlex

Postby DrAlex » 2013-06-07 08:05

12. preserving of formatting than quotation is added to project

For exemple, in browser, we have:

"Enter the bibliographic information. You can press the Tab key to move to the next field".

Citavi save the quote without formating:

"Enter the bibliographic information. You can press the Tab key to move to the next field."
DrAlex

Postby DrAlex » 2013-06-07 08:25

For this point I guess I'm not sure why it would be an advantage to have some kind of default cover if one wasn't able to be found online for a particular reference.

It seems to me, that the so be evident and easier to immediately distinguish between types of reference, as cover itself is not so important and it is often impossible to find through online search and there is no reason to waste time for adding manually a cover for each book.

And finally, I forgot one more point:
15. In the window "Assign categories" to make the list of the added categories (field "Preview") with the option "check / uncheck", as in the field "Resent".

It will be easier to uncheck unnecessary categories (now, have to look for each category in the main field of the category selection).

Thank you very much for your attention.
DrAlex

PreviousNext

Return to Wish List