This forum is read-only - Please use our new Citavi Forum instead.
Dieses Forum dient nur zur Recherche - Bitte nutzen Sie das neue Citavi Forum für Ihre Fragen.

Cite references in general fields (Summaries, Evaluations)

Suggest features and improvements here. We always strive for the best!

Cite references in general fields (Summaries, Evaluations)

Postby skittle » 2012-12-10 08:55

Hi,

One thing that would be great is if it were possible to have support for more comprehensive citing and cross linking between references within Citavi itself. The "Links to" and "Links from" field are great; but sometimes it is also useful to cite a number of positions in fields such as Comments, Summaries under Quotations, and in the Evaluation field.

Many thanks

Simon
skittle

Re: Cite references in general fields (Summaries, Evaluation

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2012-12-10 13:13

Hi Simon,

Thanks so much for the suggestion! Do you have a concrete example of what you might want to link and why? For example, if you mention another reference in your project in a comment, would you want to be able to link to this reference?

Many thanks in advance for the additional clarification!

Best regards,
Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Postby skittle » 2012-12-10 16:29

Hi Jennifer,

Yes, absolutely. What I'd like to be able to do is more fully model the relationships between works. I don't know if you intended the Links to/from boxes to only be used for works which cite (or are cited by) other works, but either way, it seems like that is just one kind of relationship two works might bear to each other. One work might prefigure another, one might be an opposing position, one might be a similar position, and those things might hold even if neither work cites each other. It would be nice to be able to capture that metadata about the relationship.

For this reason I often find myself thinking that Citavi would benefit from a closer connection between the Links to/from and the Knowledge Items field.

So for example, I might find an Indirect Quotation of some work in another work; I want to store that Indirect Quotation (even though I didn't write it). It's incredibly useful to be able to say that it's an Indirect Quotation; but it's also really useful to say where it came from. At present, I can't do both. I can either put it in the Notes field of the Links to/from, but then I lose out on an explicit mention of the kind of relationship it is (Indirect Quotation), or I can enter it as an Indirect Quotation, but then I have to manually enter the source.

Sometimes I do the latter, and I put things like the following at the end of a Quotation or Summary:

Via Scott (On Engendering An Illusion Of Understanding, fp.21).

But then, of course, it is not linked to that reference.

Another limitation with the Links to/from field I come up against sometimes is that because it can only model relationships between single works, it is sometimes quite clunky to use, and the lists of links get unwieldy very quickly. For often I'd like to be able to say that works A, B and C are responses to work X.

To give a more concrete example, I might want to say something like the following at the end of a Summary box: "Fodor (1994) was a precursor to this position, and it is developed more recently in Pinker (2003), (2005)." But obviously I don't want to have to write out those references by hand, or not have them linked - both seem silly when there are sitting there in my Citavi database.

I could put them in the Links to/from, but then they are disconnected from the Summary or the Quotation, or whatever.

I hope that explains what I was thinking more clearly.
skittle

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2012-12-10 17:09

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the very detailed explanation! I agree that it would make a lot of sense to be able to do what you describe in Citavi and will add this to our wish list.

Thanks again for your suggestions -- we really appreciate them and all the time you have taken to think about how to improve Citavi!

Best regards,
Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Postby skittle » 2012-12-10 23:03

You're very welcome!

Thanks for a wonderful product; Citavi has vastly improved my daily workflow.
skittle

Postby andor » 2013-03-08 23:33

look forward to this function added. thanks for the efforts!!

Jennifer Schultz wrote:Hi Simon,

Thanks for the very detailed explanation! I agree that it would make a lot of sense to be able to do what you describe in Citavi and will add this to our wish list.

Thanks again for your suggestions -- we really appreciate them and all the time you have taken to think about how to improve Citavi!

Best regards,
Jennifer
andor

Return to Wish List