This forum is read-only - Please use our new Citavi Forum instead.
Dieses Forum dient nur zur Recherche - Bitte nutzen Sie das neue Citavi Forum für Ihre Fragen.

FEATURE REQUEST: Can attached PDFs open in Mendeley?

Suggest features and improvements here. We always strive for the best!

FEATURE REQUEST: Can attached PDFs open in Mendeley?

Postby mickeyonacoustic » 2011-12-18 06:53

System information: [ Citavi Version 3.1.15, Windows 7, English, -, MS Office 2010 64Bit, - ]

Greetings!

First, I would like to let you know that I am in LOVE with Citavi. Thank you SO much for making it available. It's phenomenal, in my opinion.

QUESTION:
I have a feature request (and please let me know if this capability already exists OR if a work-around exists):
All of my PDFs started out in Zotero then moved to Mendeley, where they NOW "have" highlights, notes, and annotations that (I believe) "float" above them in Mendeley only. Accordingly, now that I have started using Citavi, I would like the ability to LINK my Mendeley PDF to each reference in such a way that when I click on it, it opens up in Mendeley. A different but virtually equivalent solution would be a link or button that reads, "Open this reference in Mendeley."

Is either capability possible--either now or in the near future? If not now but in the future possibly, how difficult/timely would that be for Citavi's developers, and when might such a capability be available reasonably?

NOTE: Again, there might be some BETTER or CURRENT solution or work-around of which I am unaware. If so, I'm all ears! Please advise!

Thank you SO very much for all that you do for us as Citavi users. As I stated before, I am absolutely in love with Citavi. It is the reason I can work with some amount of joy and faith on my literature review and research design.

I look forward to your reply.

Blessings!

Mickey
mickeyonacoustic

Re: FEATURE REQUEST: Can attached PDFs open in Mendeley?

Postby Antonio Tejada » 2011-12-19 16:18

Hi Mickey!

I don't know Mendeley personally, but does it have the ability to give you a URL to a specific PDF? If so, then you could add that URL as a location. (What certainly won't work is to display Mendeley annotations, if they are, as you describe, "floating" in Mendeley only. If, on the other hand, they are standard PDF annotations, then Citavi can handle them, at least in an upcoming version. ;) )

Regards,
Antonio
Antonio Tejada
Citavi Customer Service

Possible to create a script to launch a program from Citavi?

Postby mickeyonacoustic » 2011-12-19 17:52

Thank you for the quick reply above, Antonio.

So, Mendeley has a desktop version that IS backed to the Internet, but I would not want to link that Mendely Internet link to the file as I would rather work offline a lot.

So my next question is: Is it possible to write a script that opens in Mendeley a PDF file that is linked into Citavi?

Currently, for each PDF the PDF file resides on my computer in a Windows Explorer file. Mendeley links to it, and floats my Mendeley notes and highligts over the PDF only in Mendeley, as I mentioned. Is it possible to create a script that basically says, "If a PDF file is linked in Citavi, open it in Mendeley" ???

Thanks so much for your patience, Antonio. I see you've posted quite a bit, and we really appreciate it as we fall more and more in love with Citavi and receive support in the forum to accomplish our academic and research goals.

Best!

Mickey
mickeyonacoustic

WORK-AROUND Re:Can attached PDFs open in Mendeley?

Postby mickeyonacoustic » 2011-12-20 01:54

Here's somewhat of a work-around I learned about at phinished.org:

In Mendeley, it is possible to EXPORT a PDF WITH one's highlights and annotations. This ANNOTATED pdf can then be the one that is linked into Citavi. Not the most efficient solution, but it's something. :-)

Hope this helps someone! And if you think of a better solution, PLEASE POST!

Thanks!
mickeyonacoustic

Re: FEATURE REQUEST: Can attached PDFs open in Mendeley?

Postby Antonio Tejada » 2011-12-20 16:28

Dear Mickey,

Thanks for the kind words. We'll help in any way we can!

The only approach I could think of would be to set Mendeley as the default PDF handler (i.e. the default program for .pdf files), so that when Citavi "double-clicks" the file, it opens there.

If Mendeley can be set up to be a URL handler for a proprietary protocol, then that could be saved as a URL in Citavi. A cursory Google search did not give me any indication that this exists, though. :(

Maybe another user knows?

Regards,
Antonio
Antonio Tejada
Citavi Customer Service

Return to Wish List