This forum is read-only - Please use our new Citavi Forum instead.
Dieses Forum dient nur zur Recherche - Bitte nutzen Sie das neue Citavi Forum für Ihre Fragen.

PDF Indexing and full text search

Suggest features and improvements here. We always strive for the best!

PDF Indexing and full text search

Postby Rob » 2011-09-07 21:42

I have been evaluating reference management software and like many of the features of Citavi. One deficiency that I have found is the inability to index and search full text of already downloaded pdf files such as Zotero or Qiqqa currently do. I really like the ability in Citavi to add my own annotations, quotations, and thoughts, but it would be nice to be able to access more than just what I have copied and pasted to a quotation, but the actual full text of the pdf or html file to search against when looking for information I have already gathered and is sitting on my hard drive somewhere, but may not have all of the keywords or categories specified ahead of time to easily find it again. Some full text searching is not going to be able to be done using Find Full Text because they are unpublished and not available elsewhere on the web, or is something I have scanned and saved myself. Is full text searching of existing pdf or html files with search term highlighting in results something that could be introduced in a future version?
Rob

Re: PDF Indexing and full text search

Postby Antonio Tejada » 2011-09-09 16:10

Dear Rob,

Thank you for your feedback. Indeed, full text search is a much-requested feature that we plan to add in a future version, though I can't make any promises as to when to expect it.

Best regards,
Antonio
Antonio Tejada
Citavi Customer Service

Postby portsaidy » 2014-08-25 12:54

Dear Antonio,
Is there any progress on this regard?

Portsaidy
portsaidy

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2014-08-25 16:17

Dear Portsaidy,

Thanks so much for checking with us about this! While the feature is still planned, I unfortunately don't have any information at this time as to when it might be available.

Thank you for your patience!

Best regards,
Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Postby Jan Niehues » 2015-01-09 15:09

Over in the German forum, this external tool was recommended:
http://docfetcher.sourceforge.net/en/index.html

I've only started using it, but I'm already pretty impressed. Very basic interface, but it's way faster than i'd imagined..
Jan Niehues

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2015-01-09 15:41

Hi Jan,

Thanks for sharing this with us! I wasn't familiar with this program before, but it looks like it would be a good tool to use until full-text search is available in Citavi for PDF files.

In Citavi 5 it will be possible to search within individual PDF files. You can try out the feature in our preview version.

Best regards,
Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Return to Wish List