full date for reference

Suggest features and improvements here. We always strive for the best!

full date for reference

Postby aalgarni2014 » 2016-06-27 13:52

I wish to be able to store the date of published articles in full format (month-day-year) instead of just "Year" in the reference tab; and then have the option to display "year-only" or "full-date" in the bibliography citation.
aalgarni2014

Re: full date for reference

Postby Jana Votteler » 2016-06-27 15:06

Dear aalgarni2014,

Thank you very much for your suggestion.

This is already possible:
if you entered e.g. 12-01-2016 in the year field, you can determine in your citation style how you would like the date to appear:

The setting in the screenshot will display only the year 2016, the format dd-MM-yyyy the full date.
Please have a look at our manual.

If you have any further wishes or questions, please just let us know.

Kind regards,
Jana

Did we answer your question completely? If so, please click the green check mark in the upper-right corner of this post. This helps other users find the solution to their questions.

Jana Votteler
Citavi Customer Service

Postby piotrsmolnicki » 2016-07-03 15:31

Dear Citavi Team,

I just entered the forum in similar wish. Citavi should intuitively recognize day and month. Yet it's complicated due to the difference between the U.S. and international style. What if Citavi will always ask "if day is day or month"? My favourite way of writing is YYYY-XX-ZZ because you always know that "XX is MM and ZZ is DD".

In addition I would like to have "missing/empty field" information (for the most obvious fields) but its much wider topic than just dates.

Sincerely,
Piotr
piotrsmolnicki

Postby Jana Votteler » 2016-07-04 13:16

Dear Piotr,

Citavi does recognize day and month - it just depends on how you enter the details:

2008-11-01 = 01 Nov 2008
2008/11/01 = 01 Nov 2008
01.11.2008 = 01 Nov 2008
01-11-2008 = 01 Nov 2008
01/11/2008 = 11 Jan 2008

You can set your own preferred date format under Tools > Options > Formatting > Date format.
This formatting will be applied when you do not want to enter the current date manually (but with a right click in a date field).

I guess if Citavi will always ask how you want to format your entered date, this will be distracting.

What exactly do you mean by having "missing/empty field" information?

Kind regards,
Jana

Did we answer your question completely? If so, please click the green check mark in the upper-right corner of this post. This helps other users find the solution to their questions.
Jana Votteler
Citavi Customer Service

Postby piotrsmolnicki » 2016-07-04 17:26

Dear Jana,

What if the field will look like _ _ _ _-_ _-_ _ ?
I found some dates confused, e.g. 01-07-2016 could be July 1st or January 7th depending if date was imported accordingly from the U.S. or every other source.

(BTW. By missing field I mean some references have missing obvious fields and these references could be marked as "not complete".
BTW2. And I miss a quick button "Done" and an option "Hide All Done", thus all papers I have read and saved quotes won't disrupt reference list. Playing with Groups and Filters or with the Task Planner is distracting. Filters are not refreshing automatically.)

Sincerely,
Piotr
piotrsmolnicki

Postby Jana Votteler » 2016-07-05 09:05

Dear Piotr,

Thanks a lot for your suggestions!

How boring life would be with standards for everything :)

Depending on the language you choose in Citavi, the Quick Help on the right does help you filling in the fields correctly. However, I added your suggestion to our internal wish list (no. 19754).

Your further interesting wishes I have also added to our wish list for our developers (no. 19755 and no. 19756).

Thanks for your hint. We already know about the problem that saved searches (filters) do not refresh automatically and are currently working on it.

Best regards,
Jana

Jana Votteler
Citavi Customer Service

Return to Wish List