Preview pane

Suggest features and improvements here. We always strive for the best!

Preview pane

Postby Henrik Sørensen » 2016-02-17 14:58

Hi

I rarely have Citavi take up so much space on my desktop that I can conveniently see all three panes simultaneously. Since I prefer to see the left and the middle pane almost all the time, and only occasionally need to see the preview window, I therefore use the "Show all panes" mode and then minimize the right pane (Preview) to the right of the Citavi window. When I then need to see the Preview pane, it requires some pane resizing, which is a bit cumbersome. It would be nice if the top right corner of the Citavi window had a fourth icon with "Hide middle pane" or (even nicer) if the Preview pane could be added as a tab in the middle pane.

Kind regards,
Henrik
Henrik Sørensen

Re: Preview pane

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2016-02-17 15:26

Dear Henrik,

Thanks for your suggestion, which I'm happy to add to our wish list for new features. Since our main focus right now is on Citavi Web, I unfortunately can't promise when or if the feature will be added. However, our development team always take a look at the wish list when planning new Citavi versions.

Thanks again!

Best regards,
Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Postby piotrsmolnicki » 2016-04-29 16:01

Dear Citavi Team,

I use already Citavi 5.3 and I find it improved comparing to previous one. But still some things are not working as they could. I will focus on preview pane. I don't know if only I have this problem but it is much much better to read a paper in Adobe Acrobat Reader than Citavi Preview. On the other hand it is useless to read in Reader without all Citavi features.
Few most annoying reasons that make Citavi Preview so "painful" for me are:
  • extremely fast touchpad scrolling - 1 mm is changing page already (which works perfect in Reader),
  • wasting of preview space - Citavi previews not only empty white PDF margins but also grayed space around page - I mentioned it in another topic (in Reader it is possible to preview by default only the text width),
  • constant crashing during preview,
  • no touchscreen support - as it was mentioned in another topic Citavi Web will support touchscreen (Reader is supporting touchscreens very well).
I see two options for the future Citavi Web:
  • to enable Citavi to work straight from Reader as the best free platform for PDF preview,
  • to enable selecting quotes and highlighting virtually straight in the webpage (maybe without converting webpage to PDF? I do not know if it is possible)
What I actually mean is to avoid switching between software/windows and use what works well already (like Adobe Acrobat Reader and Google Chrome in my case). Please treat my comments as a good will suggestion or even inspiration how to make Citavi Web better.

I am looking forward to testing it ;)

Regards,
Piotr
piotrsmolnicki

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2016-05-02 12:40

Dear Piotr,

Thanks for your post! I'll add your suggestions regarding the differences between Adobe Acrobat Reader and Citavi to our wish list. The annotation features are tightly connected to the preview pane component, so it unfortunately wouldn't be technically possible to work straight from Reader. It's also still necessary (and will also be necessary in the Web version) to convert webpages to PDFs in order to use the annotation features in Citavi.

We are already working on a way to address the crashes that can occur while working in the preview pane's full-screen mode. In Citavi 6 we plan to offer a 64-bit Setup that should help prevent these issues from occurring.

Best regards,
Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Postby piotrsmolnicki » 2016-05-02 14:14

Thank you for the answer. I try to help with Citavi Web not knowing how it will work exactly.
What is the visual idea for Citavi Web? Less is more, flat design? I am curious... ;)

This is the last crash error I copied to the clipboard:
pdftron.Common.PDFNetException: Exception:
Conditional expression: allocated_array == 0
Filename : AlignedBuffer.hpp
Function : Allocate(UInt32 num_bytes)
Linenumber : 185

at pdftron.PDF.PDFViewWPF.ScrollChangedHandler(Object sender, ScrollChangedEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Controls.ScrollChangedEventArgs.InvokeEventHandler(Delegate genericHandler, Object genericTarget)
at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Delegate handler, Object target)
at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(Object target, RoutedEventArgs routedEventArgs)
at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEvent(RoutedEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Controls.ScrollViewer.OnScrollChanged(ScrollChangedEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Controls.ScrollViewer.OnLayoutUpdated(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.ContextLayoutManager.fireLayoutUpdateEvent()
at System.Windows.ContextLayoutManager.UpdateLayout()
at System.Windows.ContextLayoutManager.UpdateLayoutCallback(Object arg)
at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.InvokeOnRenderCallback.DoWork()
at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.FireInvokeOnRenderCallbacks()
at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandlerCore(Object resizedCompositionTarget)
at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandler(Object resizedCompositionTarget)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeInSecurityContext(Object state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.Run(CulturePreservingExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
at SwissAcademic.Citavi.Shell.Program.Main(String[] args)Citavi-Version: Citavi
OS-Version: 6.2.9200.0
Citavi-Version:5.3.0

BTW. Sometimes in full screen mode arrows up and down changes reference instead of scrolling up and down. I use arrows because of very sensitive touchpad reaction I mentioned before.

Regards,
Piotr :)
piotrsmolnicki

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2016-05-02 16:09

Hi Piotr,

Thanks for the error message! This is one of the PDF error messages we're aware of and that should be preventable with the 64-bit Setup.

The general design of Citavi Web is touch-friendly and does indeed have more of a "less-is-more" aesthetic than the desktop version. If you're interested in being a beta tester for Citavi Web, you can register for our newsletter at http://www.citavi.com/startwebbeta

Thanks as well for mentioning the arrow problem, which I unfortunately wasn't able to reproduce. Have you noticed the error in Citavi 5.3 as well?

Best regards,
Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Postby piotrsmolnicki » 2016-05-02 19:32

I've noticed the problem only in Citavi 5.3 (which has full screen preview) in random times. How to check what's going on when it happen again? It seems arrows work in the main Citavi window when the full screen is previewed (but not active) - my guess.
piotrsmolnicki

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2016-05-03 07:57

Hi Piotr,

Thanks for your response! If you are able to reproduce the problem, could you you please write us again? We'd really appreciate it! I'm also guessing that it has to do with the focus, though. If the full screen window doesn't have the focus, but the list of references in the Citavi project does, the arrow keys would change references in the Citavi project.

Best regards,
Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Postby piotrsmolnicki » 2016-05-26 20:36

Dear Citavi Stuff,

I'd like to mention, that Citavi is not crashing due to pdf preview pane (at least it did it many times per day and now nothing for at least one week)

Regards,
Piotr
piotrsmolnicki

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2016-05-27 07:50

Dear Piotr,

We're glad to hear that! If you do experience problems with crashes again, you'll be happy to hear that we recently created a new version of Citavi that can use 3 GB of memory instead of just 1 GB, which should prevent the error from occuring. Currently, this version is only available as an alpha version, but we plan to release it as a beta version soon.

Please keep an eye on the News section of the Citavi Welcome Screen if you're interested in the beta version.

Best regards,
Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Next

Return to Wish List