This forum is read-only - Please use our new Citavi Forum instead.
Dieses Forum dient nur zur Recherche - Bitte nutzen Sie das neue Citavi Forum für Ihre Fragen.

Kindle Highlight Note not remembered after OK

Suggest features and improvements here. We always strive for the best!

Re: Kindle Highlight Note not remembered after OK

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2015-12-18 17:07

Hi Piotr,

Thanks for your additional observations and comments! I checked with our developer and the problem isn't so much the highlights as the importing of the reference information. The problem is that Amazon uses an ASIN identifier instead of the standard ISBN. Since there's no one catalog containing all the ASIN numbers, Citavi has to search all Amazon catalogs at once for book information. Also, books that are only in Kindle format cannot be found. This can lead to many books not being imported into Citavi and is confusing for the user, since it then seems that the feature doesn't work. Since there's no workaround, we will be removing the Amazon integration in the next Citavi update.

When the feature is no longer available, you can still add quotations almost as easily. You would first search for the book in question in Citavi using the Online search feature and selecting a larger library catalog or several catalogs. Once the reference is in your project, you can use the Picker to save your quotations by selecting the text of the Kindle highlight, right-clicking the selection, and then clicking Citavi Picker > Add reference and add selection > as quotation. In this scenario you would also have to add the Note separately, unfortunately.

Please just let us know if you have any additional questions!

Best regards,
Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Postby piotrsmolnicki » 2015-12-19 12:04

Dear Jennifer,

I think we are discussing two different things: me about importing Kindle Highlights (and Notes) and you about importing Kindle e-books.
Actually I never tried to import a book using Citavi Amazon integration (I do this only manually or by ISBN and then changing Edition from ISBN-imported to "Kindle Edition" and Number of Pages to Other: number of locations).

I like Highlight import because it imports also the Location and Note!
I could agree with disabling this feature if there will be a better alternative - and I have a suggestion or recommendation!!!
RECOMMENDATION: Since all the Highlights are stored in "My Clippings.txt" file there could be possibility of importing all Highlights of particular book to Citavi with one click! It will save a lot of time, avoid using Amazon website and the last but not least (actually very important!) to import Highlights from Personal Documents (Amazon does not let to preview personal documents' Highlights in their website)!!!
Please take it in consideration! And it can work via Citavi Web - here you have an example how to import data from "My Clippings.txt" file: www.clippings.io - please test it!

Best Regards,
Piotr
piotrsmolnicki

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2015-12-21 14:39

Dear Piotr,

Thanks for your additional comments! Since the feature currently allows you to import your highlights along with the reference information, it is a problem that the reference information cannot be imported. I'm not sure we'd want to only offer highlight importing without the option to add the reference information, since the feature would then not be consistent with the way the Picker works on normal webpages.

The notes import was never intended to be part of this feature, so it seems to be an error that they were sometimes automatically added to quotations.

Thank you very much for your recommendation! We'll take a look at Clippings.io integration to see if that might be a viable alternative. Since our developers are currently quite busy with Citavi Web, we may not be able to look into an alternative solution right away.

Many thanks in advance for your understanding and patience!

Best regards,
Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Previous

Return to Wish List