This forum is read-only - Please use our new Citavi Forum instead.
Dieses Forum dient nur zur Recherche - Bitte nutzen Sie das neue Citavi Forum für Ihre Fragen.

Create links between knowledge items

Suggest features and improvements here. We always strive for the best!

Create links between knowledge items

Postby julia96154 » 2014-12-29 14:27

Merry Christmas to all at Citavi.

I would very much like to be able to create links within my individual knowledge items/comments which connect with other knowledge items/comments in my collection. I keep all my references and knowledge items within one large project file with the result that as my information stock grows I find myself storing more and more information on many diverse topics. In effect the overall project is developing into a Zettelkasten. The ability to make links in this way would enable me to create a very useful web of knowledge so side-stepping the use of keywords which can be overused and too general. Don't get me wrong, I would still use keywords but as a classificatory tool. On the other hand, being able to link together individual items and ideas could be an extremely useful discovery tool, especially when developing my thinking and arguments for new research.

All best wishes,
Julia Watson.
julia96154

Re: Create links between knowledge items

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2014-12-29 15:42

Dear Julia,

Thank you for your well wishes! Happy Holidays to you!

A number of users have asked us for the ability to create links between knowledge items or to link to other references within knowledge items, and I agree that this would be a very helpful feature. I'll add your suggestion to our wish list to bring this to the developers' attention again. We do have some larger development priorities in the works right now, and such a feature would be technically complex, so it could be a while before we're even able to seriously consider adding this feature, unfortunately.

Best wishes,
Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Postby ethno » 2015-01-16 22:34

I definitely second this request. I would consider this one part of a larger request for more "hyperlinking" between objects (quotations, comments, etc.) and perhaps even between these and other documents (other than the one from which quotations are drawn). It's just another way to further the process of making connections within the literature analytically and, later, in the writing process.
ethno

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2015-01-19 09:08

Hi ethno,

Thanks for your additional comments! I agree wholeheartedly. Hopefully once some of our larger development priorities have been completed, we'll be able to focus on some of these linking features.

Best regards,
Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Postby dkainer » 2015-12-14 09:21

Hi Jennifer

How's the progress going on this feature? It would be super useful!

cheers and merry christmas, happy channukah,
David
dkainer

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2015-12-14 11:01

Hi David,

Thanks for checking in with us about this feature! At the moment our developers are focusing on Citavi Web, which means that other larger feature requests like this one are currently on hold.

Many thanks for your understanding, and happy holidays!

Best regards,
Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Postby piotrsmolnicki » 2015-12-17 14:27

I strongly agree with all above suggests!
Good somebody mentioned it because I just planned to write a new post about these features.
I know that you are busy now developing Citavi Web but I will add a Wish (you know - Hollidays Time).
I was thinking about another dimension in Categories (in addition to "Interlinks" between some Categories) - "Category Clusters" or eventually "Category Clones". Each Cluster could contain different Category Branches but particular Categories (or Branches) could be inside multiple Clusters.
Example:
If I write two papers - one about evironment protection and another about automotive industry there are some Categories which are unnecessary doubled - I would like them not to be "linked" but "merged" into one and "clustered" (eventually "cloned").
Clone will be just "the same" Category as in another place (Ctrl+C, Crtl+V but together with Ccontent). I tried to do this in Citavi before but copying Category did not copy it's Content (even more - Content should be "auto-updateable" in every Clone Category).

Ho ho ho! Happy Holidays Everybody!
Piotr
piotrsmolnicki

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2015-12-17 15:25

Dear Piotr,

Thanks for the suggestions regarding category clusters and clones. I'll add these features to our wish list. Again, the same caveat regarding Citavi Web applies as above.

Happy Holidays to you, too!

Best regards,
Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Postby piotrsmolnicki » 2015-12-19 14:55

Dear Citavi Team,

I would like to mention again the importance of Category Links and distinguish them from Category Clones:
  • Category Links - are useful to link different Categories but possible to mention together in scientific paper;
  • Category Clones - are useful for the same content that fits to many places in our Category Tree

Happy Holidays,
Piotr
piotrsmolnicki

Postby piotrsmolnicki » 2015-12-19 15:33

In addition:
  • Category Clusters - enable the view of Linked Categories from different branches
piotrsmolnicki

Next

Return to Wish List