Text box feature

Suggest features and improvements here. We always strive for the best!

Text box feature

Postby Yujun Li » 2018-02-13 17:10

Dear Citavi team,

Thank you for improving Citavi and adding more great features to it.

I found the text box tool in Acrobat Reader DC really helpful especially when I just want to "write down" some notes on the pdf file for the sake of future reading, or make some errata for, let's say, incorrect formulas in the article. For this particular type of notes, I hope the content of them could be presented directly instead of an orange highlight pinned on the margin, which I think make substantive sense regarding the purpose of making this type of notes. However, according to my limited knowledge, Citavi seems to be lacking in this kind of feature. Therefore I have to painfully switch from Acrobat Reader DC to Citavi build-in previewer back and forth when I want to make this type of notes.

Personally, I really hope the text box feature could be a reasonable and developable request.

Thanks!
Best regards,
Yujun
Yujun Li

Re: Text box feature

Postby Damien Reddy » 2018-02-14 16:12

Dear Yujun,

Thank you for your suggestion.

Assuming that you are referencing Acrobat Reader's sticky note feature, Citavi's comment feature does indeed work in a similar way: The selected text is highlighted in orange, an orange highlight appears in the margin, and a core statement appears in the new comment on the Quotations, Comments tab. Citavi generates the core statement automatically using the first few words in the selection.

If necessary, you can now make changes to the core statement to better reflect your understanding of the text passage. Enter categories, groups, keywords, and page numbers as needed. When you’re done editing the comment, the text highlight will disappear, much like it does with sticky notes in Acrobat Reader. Only the margin highlight will remain visible. When you hover over the margin highlight, the text highlight will temporarily appear. Click the margin highlight to display the text highlight.

Adding the same sticky note feature as is present in Reader, currently would be difficult to achieve, as Citavi's default three-pane structure limits the available work-space in the preview pane. We will, however, take your notes into consideration for potentially redesigning the interface in the future.

Kind regards,
Damien
Damien Reddy
Citavi Customer Service

Postby Yujun Li » 2018-02-14 23:57

Hi Damien,

Thank you for replying!

Sorry to confuse you. I was trying to refer the text box tool in Adobe Reader, rather than the sticky note feature. With the text box tool, I can type text and superimpose them on the original content of the PDF file. A screenshot is given for the icon of the text box tool in Adobe Reader so that you could tell what it looks like.
snipaste_20180214_112533.png

I prefer this type of notes when a short supplemental note is needed to help me understand the material better or a correction of type error in the original PDF file is favored. Therefore, the note made in both these two foregoing scenarios could be considered as an incidental part (more like a footnote) of the raw material instead of annotation (for which only a colored highlight kept on the margin in Citavi) and shown together with or superimposed on the original content of the PDF file. The instant presence of the content in this type of note makes sense to me because I want to read them in a more natural and smooth way, rather than move my cursor above and to see what's the note. As an example I mentioned, a footnote will be available for reading whenever I open a PDF file.

Or, is there any possibility that the Comment feature (or/and the Summary feature) of Citavi could be modulated so that the core statement of it can be shown somewhere in the PDF file (like the margin) with the selected text highlighted simultaneously in the context. Then the Comment feature is more close to what I'm expecting it to be regarding the purpose of making comment, which is to be read, in this case.

I benefit a lot from this type of note when reading articles and really hope this feature could be possible to build into Citavi.

Thanks!
Best,
Yujun
Yujun Li

Postby Damien Reddy » 2018-02-15 15:23

Dear Yujun,

Thank you for your clarifying your suggestion.

Adding text boxes as overlays would indeed still be problematic given the limited work-space available in the preview window. As such, modulating Citavi's current features to produce the desired result also is not possible. However, we will take both your initial suggestion and your clarifications into consideration for potential UI redesigns in the future.

Kind regards,
Damien
Damien Reddy
Citavi Customer Service

Return to Wish List