Distributing custom names for custom fields

Suggest features and improvements here. We always strive for the best!

Distributing custom names for custom fields

Postby PadreKoonce » 2016-12-14 18:52

This feature may already exist, but if it does, I have not found it.
I would suggest the ability to distribute custom names for custom fields by way of exporting some kind of settings file. This would be helpful both for multiple users and for multiple projects by the same user.
I have developed a custom citation style that uses "Custom Field 8" as a switch to turn on features used to format Ancient and Medieval references, while "Custom Field 9" is used as a switch to turn on options for Multi-Volume References. Obviously, it helps to rename the custom field according to these uses, but there is the inconvenience of having to do it manually for every individual project. Furthermore, all other users of this custom citation style will have to manually change the names of the custom fields.

I have tried to find where the names for the Custom Fields are stored, and I’ve looked in the different settings files (EngineSettings.cus, FormSettings.cus, UISettings.cus, and even WordAddInSettings.cus) but haven’t found the custom name for the custom field in any of these. The closest thing that I can find is in the USSetting.cus file:

<ReferenceTabFieldSettings_AutoShowFieldsWithValues_1>True</ReferenceTabFieldSettings_AutoShowFieldsWithValues_1>
<ReferenceTabFieldSettings_FieldPropertyIds_1>["Notes","Language","CustomField8","CustomField9","Doi"]</ReferenceTabFieldSettings_FieldPropertyIds_1>
<ReferenceTypeSelectionDialogSettings_FavoriteIds_1>[16,14,4,5,10,7,12]</ReferenceTypeSelectionDialogSettings_FavoriteIds_1>

But I haven’t been able to discover where the customized names for "CustomField8" and "CustomField9" are stored. (I am assuming that those locations are then accessed by the next line of code concerning the ReferenceTypeSelectionDialogSettings_FavoriteIds_1)

Anyway, if you would consider including "Custom Field Names" among the Settings that it would be possible to Export and Import (https://www.citavi.com/sub/manual5/en/e ... files.html), there are some of us who would find it very useful!
PadreKoonce

Re: Distributing custom names for custom fields

Postby Sebastian Pabel » 2016-12-15 14:18

Hi,

The custom names for the Custom Fields are not set per user or per Citavi installation but are an integral part of the project database file. In essence: Everyone who opens the project will see the customized names. You'll need to set the names again when starting another project.

Best regards
Sebastian

Did we answer your question completely? If so, please click the green check mark in the upper-right corner of this post. This helps other users find the solution to their questions.
Sebastian Pabel
Citavi Customer Service

Postby PadreKoonce » 2016-12-15 16:41

Dear Sebastian,
Thanks for the reply! Yes, I noticed that the names have to be set again when starting another project, and that they are registered somewhere in the project database file. Hence, my interest in being able to export/import them easily, from one project to another, without having to reset them manually each time. Anyway, feel free to include this suggestion on your wish list of further improvements. (Citavi, by the way, is a fantastic program, and I am a huge promoter, though ever now and then I do find minor things that I wish would work just a little bit better).
Sincerely,
Fr. David Koonce
PadreKoonce

Postby Sebastian Pabel » 2016-12-15 17:01

Dear David

Thanks for your suggestion. I've added it to our wishlist, though I can't say if or when we'll be able to implement this feature.

Best regards
Sebastian

Did we answer your question completely? If so, please click the green check mark in the upper-right corner of this post. This helps other users find the solution to their questions.
Sebastian Pabel
Citavi Customer Service

Postby jegorham » 2017-10-11 17:24

Greetings All,

I am a little late to this discussion, but am experiencing the same problem. Rather than have to manually re-enter the custom field names I use as part of my larger reference management system, it would be more efficient to either have the ability to export and import customized settings such as these, or to set the custom field names globally per user and/or installation.

Aside from this issue, I am finding this program to be an excellent and straightforward tool for reference management.

Best,

James
jegorham

Postby Sebastian Pabel » 2017-10-12 13:01

Hi, James,

thank you for your suggestion. It may be possible to implement the import of custom field names from another project as an Add On for Citavi 6.

Best regards
Sebastian

Sebastian Pabel
Citavi Customer Service

Return to Wish List