Scrivener Work around

Suggest features and improvements here. We always strive for the best!

Scrivener Work around

Postby JohnT » 2017-08-31 21:09

Scrivener has it's own placeholders, if Citavi could work with a way to insert the citations into those placeholders, it would be a valuable add-on. Even if Citavi would give instructions on the easiest way to manually enter the citations and bibliography data into Scrivener it would be helpful for us computer illiterates. I could copy and paste, unless someone has a better idea.

J.T.
JohnT

Re: Scrivener Work around

Postby Damien Reddy » 2017-09-01 13:01

Dear John,

Thank you for your suggestion.

It is indeed possible for Citavi 5 to insert citations and quotations in Scrivener and to automatically add a bibliography at the end of your document. Please see our detailed step by step guide on the workaround for using Citavi 5 with Scrivener:

https://service.citavi.com/kb/a560/3204 ... tect=false

We are continuously striving to improve Citavi and expand its functionality in future updates, and I have passed on your suggestion regarding Scrivener's own placeholders to our developers. However, any decision on whether this feature can be developed as well as actual development on it will not be possible for a while. This is because all of our resources are currently focused on developing Citavi Web, our upcoming cloud-based version of Citavi.

Kind regards,
Damien

Did we answer your question to your satisfaction? If so, please click the green check mark in the upper-right corner of this post. This helps other users find solutions to their questions.
Damien Reddy
Citavi Customer Service

Postby JohnT » 2017-09-01 15:56

Thank you for your help, You may want want to put the link you gave me as a work around into the Citavi manual where it tells us why Citavi can't work with Scrivener.
JohnT

Postby Damien Reddy » 2017-09-07 15:29

Dear John,

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, we cannot add the link to our manual, as working with Scrivener is not an official feature of Citavi but only possible via this workaround.

Please also note that as placeholders will no longer be available in Citavi 6, the workaround will no longer be possible. You may, however, choose not to upgrade and keep using Citavi 5.

Kind regards,
Damien

Did we answer your question to your satisfaction? If so, please click the green check mark in the upper-right corner of this post. This helps other users find solutions to their questions.
Damien Reddy
Citavi Customer Service

Postby JohnT » 2017-09-08 00:34

Your last post is unfortunate news. Scrivener has a large following of writers. However, they developed the program primarily for fiction writers. Many Non-fiction writers still love the program, but referencing is a problem. Scrivener is aware of this, but they have made it clear in reply's as to the reasons that they’re not going to do anything about it, instead they send you to their manual where it shows you a clumsy and inefficient way to make the best of it.
I don't know how large Scrivener’s market is, and I don't really care because there's nothing I can do about it. Nevertheless, I believe that if I were a developer marketing the excellent program that you have, I would be looking for ways to increase my market size with the least amount of effort. In other words, I would be researching their program usage in their forum and elseware to see if it's practical and feasible to modify Citavi to work as well with Scrivener as it does with Microsoft Word.
Finally, I like both programs and I wish they were more compatible and would work as well together as Microsoft Word and Citavi does, but if I must give up one is not going to be Citavi. So, I will finish by saying, thank you for a great program. J.T
JohnT

Return to Wish List