This forum is read-only - Please use our new Citavi Forum instead.
Dieses Forum dient nur zur Recherche - Bitte nutzen Sie das neue Citavi Forum für Ihre Fragen.

Issue with foreign language (Thai) fonts in text fields only

Got questions about Citavi 5? The Citavi team and other users are happy to help.

Issue with foreign language (Thai) fonts in text fields only

Postby aanon » 2017-05-03 14:35

System information: [ Citavi Version 5.4, Windows 7, English, -, -, - ]

Hi, I am having an issue with viewing Thai language in text fields.

To clarify:
I have some Thai language in my categories list which is displaying correctly.
I have some Thai language in my reference titles, and this displays correctly in the reference list pane.
No Thai language is displaying correctly in the text fields (e.g. any of the fields in the Overview, Reference, Content, Context panes) -- including the same content that appears correctly in the reference list pane.

I have tried changing the font in Options under "Default text style for formattable text fields" with no success. In fact, changing fonts here appeared to have no effect at all on text in the text fields I mentioned, whether in English or Thai.

Please help!

Aanon
aanon

Re: Issue with foreign language (Thai) fonts in text fields

Postby Sebastian Pabel » 2017-05-03 15:52

Hi, Aanon,

could you please post a screenshot of the incorrectly displayed Thai text? Which font is set for "formattable text fields", see Tools > Options > Formatting > Default text style for formattable text fields? It's possible that this is a font that doesn't have the Thai glyphs included.

Best regards
Sebastian
Sebastian Pabel
Site Admin

Postby aanon » 2017-05-04 00:11

ScreenClip [6].png
thai displaying fine in categories column
aanon

Postby aanon » 2017-05-04 00:12

ScreenClip [5].png
thai displaying fine in reference list, not in text boxes
aanon

Postby aanon » 2017-05-04 00:17

I've tried selecting all kinds of different font faces and sizes, just to see if it is having any effect on the displayed text in my problem area. No matter what I choose, the displayed text does not change (including after I press OK and exit the Options pane). One example is below.

ScreenClip [2].png
choice of unusual font - no effect on Thai or English display
aanon

Postby aanon » 2017-05-04 00:21

Here I used Word to verify that Thai text can be correctly displayed with Tahoma font. However, when I selected Tahoma within Citavi, my Thai text was still not displayed correctly.

In fact, as described above, there was no difference in Citavi's display no matter what font face I selected (Times, Arial, Tahoma, Engravers Gothic, Comic Sans...).

ScreenClip.png
Verifying that Thai text can display under Tahoma
aanon

Postby aanon » 2017-05-04 00:24

Finally, I'll note that I can switch to Thai keyboard and type into the Title field of a reference. The Thai text will display as empty boxes in the Title field, but will be displayed correctly in the reference list.

In other words, it's just a display issue; no information is being lost.
aanon

Postby Sebastian Pabel » 2017-05-04 14:08

Hi, Aanon

I can't reproduce the issue here. Thai characters are displayed correctly in the Title field with both Segoe UI and Tahoma.

Please note that changing the font for formatted fields may take effect only after a restart of Citavi.

Best regards
Sebastian

Did we answer your question completely? If so, please click the green check mark in the upper-right corner of this post. This helps other users find the solution to their questions.
Sebastian Pabel
Site Admin

Postby aanon » 2017-05-08 05:36

Hi and thanks Sebastian,

An update: by making changes to the "default text style for formattable text fields" and restarting Citavi, I have now managed to make some progress on my issue. Now I see that some fields do reflect the change of typeface. For example, the "Abstract" field on the Overview tab. If I set the font to Tahoma, for example, I can display Thai correctly in this field.

I suddenly realise that "formattable text fields" refers only to fields like the "Abstract" field -- fields which are able to be opened in the full-featured editor window -- but NOT to the regular text fields like those in the Reference tab. So making changes to the font setting in options is of course doing nothing to change the display in those regular text fields. This makes sense now. I should have realised this earlier.

So, then, what font does Citavi use for the regular text fields? Is there any setting to change this? From appearances, it appears that Segoe is perhaps being used right across the program, from the categories list pane, to the reference list pane, to the fields of the reference details tab. Is this correct?

If so, can your technical people suggest any reason why Thai would display correctly in two of these three areas but not in one of them?

Is this a bug? Should I perhaps uninstall and reinstall Citavi, or revert to an earlier version? (currently running 5.5.0.1).

Any advice much appreciated,

Aanon
aanon

Postby aanon » 2017-05-08 05:46

ScreenClip.png
Visual example of current situation: Thai display in left pane, middle pane, abstract field but NOT title field on Overview tab (also NOT on any field within Reference tab)
aanon

Next

Return to Citavi 5 Support (English)