This forum is read-only - Please use our new Citavi Forum instead.
Dieses Forum dient nur zur Recherche - Bitte nutzen Sie das neue Citavi Forum für Ihre Fragen.

Search: Contributions, Smart lists and Hotkeys Topic is solved

Got questions about Citavi 5? The Citavi team and other users are happy to help.

Search: Contributions, Smart lists and Hotkeys

Postby MrMagoo » 2017-03-28 23:59

System information: [ Citavi Version 5.4, Windows 10, English, -, -, - ]

Is there any way to add "contributions" to search queries as we can for "parent" references? I looked and did not find any search term for this. This seems like an oversight?

I deleted a number of child references and their parents are not deleted even if they are empty, which makes sense from a data loss perspective. But then to find said empty parents you have to go through them one by one and check if they have contributions - this assuming you grouped the parents in the first place so you could find them!
I do group them this way since they constantly need to be removed from searches to stop clutter which is another point: lots of extra clicks that need to be repeated all the time because of child/parent relationships. (Its similar for references I do not have the sources for yet)

This all seems rather inefficient.

I know that what I want to do can be achieved with a half dozen clicks or so (i.e. select the "parent" group, then invert) but the frequency which this needs to be done is rather annoying when you have quite a few "Edited Books" and conference papers. If you click on groups or keywords, those filters go away and have to be replaced...with a small huffing noise typically.

While I like the parent/child split for edited books and proceedings overall but I feel that more support of this is necessary: at the moment it feels a bit clunky with far too much clicking.

As a developer I would have liked to whip up a simple script that could apply such a filter with a simple hotkey. Unfortunately it appears (as least as far as I can tell from the docs and interface) that C# scripts cannot be hot-keyed or even selected from the menu. (I would love to be wrong about this!)
This means that to use such a feature you would have to manually load the script and run it which is obviously no good for a time saving task.
Being able to hotkey saved searches is also a very important feature I feel.

Humble Suggestions After Deep Contemplation to Greatly Reduce Clicking:
  1. Adding "contributions" as a search term. I understand this is a little harder than the others due to the Many->One relational DB aspect.
  2. Asking the user when deleting a child whether the parent should also be deleted if its empty.
  3. Being able to assign hotkeys (e.g. Ctrl-1, Alt-6, etc) to saved searches and/or C# scripts.
  4. Being able to "hide" references so they do not appear in lists unless asked for explicitly - essentially a hidden flag.

Some of this solutions overlap in solving this particular problem of course.

I was also hoping that there would be a way to communicate with Citavi externally as the "pickers" do and saw historic mention of "plug-ins" but I have not seen that in the docs - is any of that possible in Citavi 5?

I would love to know if my assumptions about this are wrong and there are shortcuts I am missing.

PS: I really do like the product overall despite my griping! ;)
MrMagoo

Re: Search: Contributions, Smart lists and Hotkeys  Topic is solved

Postby Sebastian Pabel » 2017-04-03 08:25

Hi, MrMagoo,

there is indeed no way of finding "empty" parent references using Citavi's user interface and I agree: this should be improved.

As a quick workaround, please make use of the attached macro:

FindParentReferencesWithoutChildren.cs
Find Parent References with no Child References
(2.39 KiB) Downloaded 270 times

If this works fine for you, please let me know, and I'll add it to the list of macros in our FAQ.

I assume you already know, but here's how you run a macro in Citavi.

It's rather tricky adding the "contribution" search in the way you'd like to have, not only because of the n:1-relationship but also because of the scope of the operators, ie. if you search for some title of a reference AND a child reference, is AND applied strictly or what you'd expect intuitively (so that the second term is a child of the first)? What would you expect a search term "child reference" to find? The title?

I'll add your wishes 2, 3 and 4 to our internal wishlist for our developers. We are currently considering improments to macro integration in Citavi 6, so that reloading macros each and every time you want to use it, will become obsolete.

Citavi has an open interface which allows you to add features through add ons written in C#. Unfortunately, the documentation is rather rudimentary, slightly out of date and available in German only.

Best regards
Sebastian

Did we answer your question completely? If so, please click the green check mark in the upper-right corner of this post. This helps other users find the solution to their questions.
Sebastian Pabel
Site Admin

Re: Search: Contributions, Smart lists and Hotkeys

Postby MrMagoo » 2017-04-03 20:26

Thanks so much for your reply and taking the time to write a script for me - it works great and as a bonus identified a few mis-typed papers from my last import. That will be a big time saver and a great template for any modifications in the future.
ie. if you search for some title of a reference AND a child reference, is AND applied strictly or what you'd expect intuitively (so that the second term is a child of the first)? What would you expect a search term "child reference" to find? The title?

That makes sense. In my case a simple boolean as to a child's presence or a count would have sufficed but this is a rather niche feature.
I now realise that apart from finding empty parents there is probably limited application for an advanced "child search" feature. Having a macro such as the one you have provided is more than enough.

Citavi has an open interface which allows you to add features through add ons written in C#. Unfortunately, the documentation is rather rudimentary, slightly out of date and available in German only.

I had seen this before but the references to "Citavi 3" and the age of the post made me assume that this was no longer a feature. I will definitely look into it since we live in the days of google translate which can usually translate things into something that people can decipher...sort of. :) As it turns out I have a German speaking friend I can annoy if I get stuck.
The feature I was thinking of when I looked this up was the ability to link to references from external programs much as you can for urls. I use a todo list and Onenote for "global" note taking which works very well and being able to link to a reference in Citavi directly would be a bonus.
Will investigate if this is at all possible.
MrMagoo

Re: Search: Contributions, Smart lists and Hotkeys

Postby MrMagoo » 2017-04-03 23:03

I have converted the pdf's into "english" and am uploading them in case anyone else would like to use them.

There is no data dictionary (unless I am mistaken?) but I assume I can attempt to work it out from the classes themselves.

Thanks again for your help.

PS: Of anyone else is interested I used: http://www.onlinedoctranslator.com which worked far better than I expected. (I read even Google themselves use it in house)
Attachments
Add-on-2.pdf
Add-ons part 2 - English
(1014 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
Add-on-1.pdf
Add-ons part 1 - English
(1.72 MiB) Downloaded 127 times
Architecture Slides.pdf
Architecture Power point - English
(311.83 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
MrMagoo

Return to Citavi 5 Support (English)