This forum is read-only - Please use our new Citavi Forum instead.
Dieses Forum dient nur zur Recherche - Bitte nutzen Sie das neue Citavi Forum für Ihre Fragen.

Importing selected PDF files to a project Topic is solved

Got questions about Citavi 5? The Citavi team and other users are happy to help.

Importing selected PDF files to a project

Postby Marcin.Krygier » 2017-02-09 22:53

System information: [ Citavi Version 5.4, Windows 7, Other language, Firefox 43 or newer, MS Office 2016, Acrobat 9 ]

I'm trying to import selected PDF files into a project. I have a separate archive directory for my PDFs, and I do not want Citavi to copy the files into the project but just link to them. The directory is huge, so using the import a folder option and then selecting just the few new files will take hours, literally. Alternatively, I can only import single files, which also takes time. Is there a way to select a few PDFs and import them into a project at one go?
Marcin.Krygier

Re: Importing selected PDF files to a project

Postby Sebastian Pabel » 2017-02-10 08:06

Hi, Marcin.Krygier,

please import the PDFs by clicking References > Import > PDF files > Folder of files. You can choose under File options if you'd like to copy or move the files into the Citavi Attachments folder. If you want to keep the PDF files in the original location, please select Links the file, but don't move it.

The import will take some time because Citavi tries to retrieve bibliographic information by scanning each file for an ISBN/DOI/PMID (in the filename, the meta data and the first page). If such an ID is found, Citavi queries the relevant database for author, title, ...

Best regards
Sebastian

Wurde Ihre Frage vollständig beantwortet? Bitte klicken Sie auf das grüne Häkchen (= Antwort akzeptieren) oben rechts in meiner Antwort. Andere Forenbenutzer können sich dann leichter orientieren, wenn sie auf der Suche nach einer Lösung sind.
Sebastian Pabel
Site Admin

Re: Importing selected PDF files to a project

Postby Marcin.Krygier » 2017-02-12 21:07

Thank you but this is exactly what I want to avoid. I have over a 1000 PDF files in one directory, and whenever I add a few new ones, I do not want to use the Folder of files option as it would process the entire directory and only then give me the option to deselect the old ones. I wonder if there's a way to reverse the process, that is, point Citavi to selected PDF files in a specific folder for import.
Marcin.Krygier

Re: Importing selected PDF files to a project  Topic is solved

Postby Sebastian Pabel » 2017-02-13 16:06

Hi,

you can drag and drop these new PDFs into the Citavi list of references. Please hold the [Alt] key, so that the files are linked instead of copied.

Best regards
Sebastian

Did we answer your question completely? If so, please click the green check mark in the upper-right corner of this post. This helps other users find the solution to their questions.

Sebastian Pabel
Site Admin

Return to Citavi 5 Support (English)