This forum is read-only - Please use our new Citavi Forum instead.
Dieses Forum dient nur zur Recherche - Bitte nutzen Sie das neue Citavi Forum für Ihre Fragen.

Re-structuring knowledge items Topic is solved

Got questions about Citavi 5? The Citavi team and other users are happy to help.

Re-structuring knowledge items

Postby Dav-o » 2017-01-17 00:02

System information: [ Citavi Version 5.4, Windows 7, English, Google Chrome, MS Office 2016, Acrobat DC ]

Hi all,

I am in the process of restructuring my thesis and I am using the Citavi Word add-in. My question is regarding the best (simplest) way to reorganise my knowledge items to reflect my NEW document structure. the situation is:
  • i already have a full document structure in the knowledge pane complete with references, quotes etc within each category. this is the OLD structure
  • i already have this linked to a word document
  • i have my NEW structure in a word document that i saved-as from my previous linked word file. It uses the heading styles (the word 'outline view' works fine)
As you can imagine, there are three conditions : a) old structure parts that remain b) old structure that gets renamed/moved c) new structure that gets added

i dont want to lose all my Citavi work to date in the old structure.. i CANNOT start again!.
Specific questions:
  1. if i import the word-as-outline into Citavi a second time, then what happens to the current Citavi knowledge items (i.e. the OLD cateofies and their references)? would they be replaced? added at the end? merged within?
  2. is it better to perform my restructure manually category, by category? (This would be a truck-load of work as my NEW structure outline only is 9+ pages long)
  3. should i have done my restructuring 'thinking' within Citavi instead of in a saved-as word document as i did?

Any other ideas/suggestions would be gratefully received. please send help

thanks much!
dB

(note: yes, i am aware that i can drag items (up down, in and out the hierarchy) in knowledge pane).
Dav-o

Re: Re-structuring knowledge items

Postby Susanne Sitzler » 2017-01-17 13:18

Hi Dav-o,

thanks for your questions.

1. If you import the word-as-outline into Citavi a second time, this new structure will be added as new categories at the end of your old list of categories. The old categories and their references will remain the same.
  2. You could either a) restructure your old categories manually by renaming and moving the categories or b) add the new categories to the existing references. You can select all references of a category, press ctrl+H, and assign one or more categories at once.
    As an alternative, you could work with your word document with the new structure and the old structure in your Citavi pane. Then, you would simply paste each reference to the desired position in your word document.
  3. Yes, I think it would have been easier to restructure your thesis within Citavi.
Best regards
Susanne

Did we answer your question completely? If so, please click the green check mark in the upper-right corner of this post. This helps other users find the solution to their questions.
Susanne Sitzler
Citavi Customer Service

Postby Dav-o » 2017-01-18 03:06

Hi Susanne,

thanks for the response.
1. Great to know that i can import a second time with no loss of info. I'm planning to start with this then drag and drop / edit.
2. good to know about ctrl+h... i didnt know about that one!
3. *! never mind, there is always next time ;)

Follow-up question

For items 'added manually', how do i then link them with word so it is a Citavi 'field' rather than just text OR alternatively is this not needed? i know that if i double click on the Citavi pane on the word addIn, the contents 'jump' to the word doc. is this essential to do, or just a helpful way to get writing on the word file?

By way of example i have my new word heading eg "Development growth" in Citvai, but it is ALREADY typed in word (with the correct heading type style), do i have to replace it in word or do nothing?

thx again

dB
Dav-o

Re: Re-structuring knowledge items  Topic is solved

Postby Susanne Sitzler » 2017-01-19 16:45

Hi Dav-o,

thank you for your reply.

1) Please add quotations always to your Citavi project. You can find more information in our manual.

If you want to avoid this effort, at least the reference itself (e.g. "Miller 2007") should be added to Citavi and inserted to your Word document by using Citavi's Word Add-In. Otherwise, you will have to update your bibliography manually after finishing your work and converting Citavi fields to static text (see manual), too. Also, the rules for repeated citation cannot be applied automatically if you insert some references as simple text.

2) You don't have to replace your headings in your Word document. However, this would have the advantage that you can use the Chapters tab of the Word Add-In. When you place the insertion point under a heading, you will then be able to view just the references and knowledge items in that category.

Best regards
Susanne

Did we answer your question completely? If so, please click the green check mark in the upper-right corner of this post. This helps other users find the solution to their questions.
Susanne Sitzler
Citavi Customer Service

Postby Dav-o » 2017-01-25 01:56

Thanks.

It sounds like it would be smart to re-add each of them.

thanks again

dB
Dav-o

Postby Susanne Sitzler » 2017-01-25 11:58

Hi Dav-o,

thank you for your reply.

Please just let us know if you have any additional questions!

Best regards
Susanne

Susanne Sitzler
Citavi Customer Service

Return to Citavi 5 Support (English)