This forum is read-only - Please use our new Citavi Forum instead.
Dieses Forum dient nur zur Recherche - Bitte nutzen Sie das neue Citavi Forum für Ihre Fragen.

Problem adding references with the same parent Topic is solved

Got questions about Citavi 5? The Citavi team and other users are happy to help.

Problem adding references with the same parent

Postby Steini » 2016-08-15 13:04

System information: [ Citavi Version 5.x Beta, Windows 10, English, Other browser, MS Office 2013/365 64Bit, - ]

This problem is actually twofold.

When importing contributions and the parent instance already exists in the project, Citavi adds the parent reference as a duplicate instead of referencing the already existing parent from the new import. This is even the case when the duplicate parent instance is not even selected for adding to the project.

To make things even worse, you can't simply chance the parent reference of one contribution to reference the parent of the other contribution, which would then hold two contributions and the other none. Which in turn would allow deleting the parent without contributions. When making this change, nothing happens and everything stays as it was.

I added two bib files as attachments for verification.

I also posted the same issue over a year ago. (viewtopic.php?f=164&t=10941&e=0). As of today, the issue persists despite a bug report. Is this issue prioritized that low or not at all?
Attachments
10.1007%2F978-3-642-10383-4_1 (1).bib
(581 Bytes) Downloaded 100 times
10.1007%2F978-3-642-10383-4_9 (1).bib
(510 Bytes) Downloaded 120 times
Steini

Re: Problem adding references with the same parent

Postby Jana Votteler » 2016-08-15 14:41

Dear Steini,

Thank you very much for coming back to this problem.

Unfortunately, it still persists.
We are well aware of this import problem but we are currently focussing our work on a web version for Citavi.

Did you follow the instructions given by Sebastian?
I could not reproduce this behavior with your export files.

Is it possible that there are more than two references of this edited book in your project?

Kind regards,
Jana

Did we answer your question completely? If so, please click the green check mark in the upper-right corner of this post. This helps other users find the solution to their questions.
Jana Votteler
Citavi Customer Service

Re: Problem adding references with the same parent

Postby Steini » 2016-08-15 15:10

Dear Jana,

I currently use Citavi 5.3.1.0 and the issue is reproducible in a new, empty test project. Tested just now (again), even with more than two distinct (using the same bibtex twice gets eliminated by duplication check) references with the same parent, the parent gets duplicated each time (and Citavi recognizes the parent correctly as a duplicate at import, "do not add duplicates" is checked).

I do not have any duplicate entries in my projects. I eliminate them on import, using the workaround Sebastian provided. Therefore, it is not possible.

I really hope the web version is coming along nicely and will not repeat the mistakes made in the current desktop version.

Kinds regards, steini
Steini

Re: Problem adding references with the same parent  Topic is solved

Postby Jana Votteler » 2016-08-16 08:39

Dear Steini,

This was a misunderstanding: I thought that you could not change the short title of one parent reference and delete another one later on.

As said, this is a know issue that - although you select to not import duplicates - a duplicate of the parent reference will be created. The reason for that is that you cannot import a contribution without its parent reference.

As this is not easy to fix, please do accept our apologies for the inconvenience.

Kind regards,
Jana

Did we answer your question completely? If so, please click the green check mark in the upper-right corner of this post. This helps other users find the solution to their questions.
Jana Votteler
Citavi Customer Service

Return to Citavi 5 Support (English)