This forum is read-only - Please use our new Citavi Forum instead.
Dieses Forum dient nur zur Recherche - Bitte nutzen Sie das neue Citavi Forum für Ihre Fragen.

ISSN / ISBN

Got questions about Citavi 5? The Citavi team and other users are happy to help.

ISSN / ISBN

Postby aalgarni2014 » 2016-07-16 17:01

System information: [ Citavi Version 5.x Beta, Windows 7, English, Google Chrome, MS Office 2013/365 32Bit, Acrobat DC ]

Greetings,
I use the browsers pickers add-ons a lot, especially for journal articles. "ISSN" and "Publisher" of such articles are being imported thru the picker. However, they are not shown up in the reference fields in the Reference tab; I can only see such details thru Table (Ctrl + Alt + T).

my question is :
How can I view/edit "ISSN" & "Publisher" details of Journal Articles in the Reference Tab ? Note: "More fields" does not show such information !
aalgarni2014

Re: ISSN / ISBN

Postby Bebbi » 2016-07-16 18:00

Hi,

you can add and change the ISSN in the menu "lists" ( I hope, that's the english name ...) > journals and newspapers. double click on the journal or newspaper. There you can add the ISSN.

I have never seen an publisher field for journals and newspapers.

Regards

Bebbi
Bebbi
Citavi Expert

Postby aalgarni2014 » 2016-07-16 22:55

Yes, I can see that....

However, that is a too much of a hassle. I just need those fields: "ISSN" (or"ISBN" ) and "Publisher" to be available in the Reference Tab just like Author, Title, Subtitle, Year, ...etc.

Actually, I was not aware of such fields they are being imported in the first place, so I just used two customized fields and name them "ISSN" and "Publisher" and I was able to fill them in in the Reference Tab easily; that was before I discovered that they already existed and are populated (see Table Ctrl+Alt+T). Moreover, my method is just another hassle, I am doing a much of a manual work. I only need to have such fields appear in the Reference tab.

For the record, I need such information since I am building a statistics about publications in my field for a literature review survey.
aalgarni2014

Postby Bebbi » 2016-07-16 23:03

Not every field is available in each form type. ISSN doesn't change with every article, so it doesn't make sence to inset it in the Reference tab.
Bebbi
Citavi Expert

Postby aalgarni2014 » 2016-07-16 23:21

Bebbi wrote:Not every field is available in each form type. ISSN doesn't change with every article, so it doesn't make sence to inset it in the Reference tab.

True, but here is the issue. many times importing Bibex or using pickers do not always guarantee to insert ISSN or the Publisher.

I need such info to build up my statistics, (my literature review is spanning a decade -10 years- of research in certain field) so I need to have such info to study the trends among publishers, periodicals, ...etc. so just to be able to view such info in the Reference Tab (to view or edit) is of a great importance to me.
aalgarni2014

Postby Bebbi » 2016-07-16 23:38

I think, you do it right:

aalgarni2014 wrote:so I just used two customized fields and name them "ISSN" and "Publisher" and I was able to fill them in in the Reference Tab easily

Let's wait until monday für the answer of the support.
Bebbi
Citavi Expert

Postby Sebastian Pabel » 2016-07-18 12:42

Hi

Neither ISSN nor the publishing company are data points for journal articles in Citavi. The reasoning is that these pieces of information do not relate to the individual journal article but to the journal or even several journals. They are in almost all cases unnecessary for identifying the article in question.

The ISSN is stored with the journal name in the periodicals list (Lists > Periodicals). As the ISSN does not provide any more information than the journal name itself, there is no need having it stored for every article of the same periodical.

From a retrieval standpoint the publishing company of a periodical is virtually irrelevant. Periodicals can change their publisher and keep their ISSN. If you need this information, you'll need to make use of one of the Custom Fields.

Best regards
Sebastian

Did we answer your question completely? If so, please click the green check mark in the upper-right corner of this post. This helps other users find the solution to their questions.

Sebastian Pabel
Site Admin

Return to Citavi 5 Support (English)