This forum is read-only - Please use our new Citavi Forum instead.
Dieses Forum dient nur zur Recherche - Bitte nutzen Sie das neue Citavi Forum für Ihre Fragen.

Custom output filter for ", S. Quotation page range"

Got questions about Citavi 5? The Citavi team and other users are happy to help.

Custom output filter for ", S. Quotation page range"

Postby PadreKoonce » 2016-05-27 22:13

System information: [ Citavi Version 5.x Beta, Windows 10, English, -, MS Office 2016, - ]

I would like to request a macro to create a custom output filter for the ", S. Quotation page range" component.

I realized that on a number of occasions, it is necessary to include the volume number before the page range, but there are a number of exceptions, based primarily on reference type. While these exceptions can be managed with the citation style editor at the level of reference types, there is one variant that requires coding (it could be managed with template conditions, but that means creating a LOT of template variants!)

I will write out what I have in mind in code-like syntax, but I need someone to turn it into real code:

Simple version:

If "Series title" is not null Then
component part output = "Quotation page range"
// As a component, it would look like this:
2016-05-27 (1).png

Else
component part output = "Volume number" + ", " + "Quotation page range", where the text element ", " uses the property Apply when Both previous and following elements contain data
// As a component, it would look like this:

2016-05-27.png

Complex version:

If Reference Type = Journal article or Court Decision
Then
Else
If "Series title" is not null
Then
Else
component part output = "Volume number" + ", " + "Quotation page range", where the text element ", " uses the property Apply when Both previous and following elements contain data

//

Sorry for the clumsy quasi-syntax. I have done quite a lot of amateur coding in VBA, but know next to nothing about C#. I hope that the idea, though, is clear enough, and someone can turn this into real code. Thanks for the help!
PadreKoonce

Re: Custom output filter for ", S. Quotation page range"

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2016-05-30 12:00

Hello PadreKoonce,

Thanks for your question! If I've understood the problem correctly, you can do this without code. You'd have to create a template for the "Option 1" switch (see this forum post for an example). You would then fill the template with the components you want except for the Volume component. Whenever you want to enter this special page numbering, you would then select the reference you want to insert, click Insert with options, enter the volume number with a comma followed by the page numbers, and then select Format option 1 and click OK.

Please just let us know if you have any additional questions!

Best regards,
Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Postby PadreKoonce » 2016-06-07 10:51

Thanks for the suggestion, Jennifer.
Since Option 1 is already occupied, I could use Option 2, but it is the same idea.I wanted to avoid this, because my reference system uses numerous variations, depending on whether the reference is cited for the first time, or if the reference has already been cited. The macro seemed like a better option, because it would apply to all the existing templates.

I think, however, that the real solution will be to change the way I enter data into the project. The problem stems from the fact that the Citavi’s internal field "Volume" is ambiguous: it can sometimes refer to the series volume number, or to the volume number of journal, or it can also be used to indicate the volume of a multi-volume work. In some very rare cases, a multi-volume work is published as part of series, in which case the work has volume numbers, and yet is number in the series is distinct.

I think that I will simply enter the series volume number as part of the series title, and use the volume field only for bound volumes of multi-volume works. That should solve the ambiguity, and not require any further coding or any new templates.
PadreKoonce

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2016-06-07 12:13

Hi PadreKoonce,

Thanks for your reply! If you're citing contributions in a work that also has a volume in the series, you could fill out the Volume field for the volume the contribution is in. Then you could also fill out the Volume in the series field for the parent reference.

Best regards,
Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Return to Citavi 5 Support (English)