This forum is read-only - Please use our new Citavi Forum instead.
Dieses Forum dient nur zur Recherche - Bitte nutzen Sie das neue Citavi Forum für Ihre Fragen.

Project structure

Got questions about Citavi 5? The Citavi team and other users are happy to help.

Project structure

Postby Ledford » 2016-05-03 16:15

System information: [ Citavi Version 5.2, Windows 8.x, German, Google Chrome, MS Office 2013/365 64Bit, - ]

Hello I am new to this powerful tool and have a kind of basic question.

When do I create a new project?
I will have a good hand full of projects that will occur in the next 5 years of my PHD and I will be working with my coworkers on projects not directly related to the PHD work.

Should I create one master project and have everything in it. Or have say every paper I write or customer have their own project. With this method how can I save the clean up work on re-importing the parts of the different work that do overlap?

Thank you,

Noah
Ledford

Re: Project structure

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2016-05-04 12:06

Dear Noah,

Thanks for your question! Whether you want to work with one project or many smaller projects really depends. If you'll likely be working with many of the same sources across papers and in your dissertation, it makes sense to create one global project and then use the categories in Citavi to organize the project into subtopics. If you then are working in a team or have side papers that don't have much overlap with your global project, I would create separate projects for these. For the separate projects, you would potentially have a little extra work involved if you need to export sources from your global project into the individual projects.

In your case, I think I would first start working with a global project and then see how it goes. You can always export to smaller Citavi projects later on.

Please just let us know if you have any additional questions!

Best regards,
Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Postby ghanbari.l » 2017-02-05 15:01

Dear Jennifer,

A friend of mine and me have intended to work on a project in citavi as a team. we are both students in Duisburg essen University and have license key.
We have installed citavi and now I would like to share my citavi data with her. She is living in another city.

Would you please let us know how to manage it.

Thanks and best regards

Leila
ghanbari.l

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2017-02-06 09:09

Dear Leila,

Thanks for your question! Since you're working in two different cities, the best way to set up your project would be to save the project in the cloud using an online storage tool such as DropBox, GoogleDrive or OneDrive.

When you do this, you will both have to be careful to not work on the project at the same time, since this could cause a database error to occur and could lead to data loss.

It's also very important that synchronization is paused while working on the project. Please see www.citavi.com/dropbox for more information on how and why to do this.

We're currently working on an online version that will let users work on projects simultaneously. Sometime this year we plan to launch the beta testing phase for Citavi Web, as long as there are no unforeseen delays. If you are interested in participating in the beta test, you can register for our newsletter at http://www.citavi.com/startwebbeta

Please just let us know if you have any additional questions!

Best regards,
Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Postby ghanbari.l » 2017-02-06 14:57

Dear Jennifer,

Thank you so much for your kind reply. I submitted my request for newsletter about Beta test.
I wish we can use this online version very soon.

Have a nice thay.

Leila
ghanbari.l

Return to Citavi 5 Support (English)