This forum is read-only - Please use our new Citavi Forum instead.
Dieses Forum dient nur zur Recherche - Bitte nutzen Sie das neue Citavi Forum für Ihre Fragen.

Metadata missing when importing PDFs

Got questions about Citavi 5? The Citavi team and other users are happy to help.

Metadata missing when importing PDFs

Postby mickeybell3 » 2016-03-31 20:16

System information: [ Citavi Version 5.0-5.1, -, -, -, -, - ]

Hello,

I am a new user of Citavi. When I start a new project and import PDFs, a percentage of them do not transfer the metadata (author, title, year, etc.) that would allow Citavi to make a citation/reference from them.

When I add a DOI number or PubMed ID to the current project by clicking on 'Internet Address' and adding it, the metadata does not update.

When I add a DOI number or PubMed ID by going to 'References' then 'Retrieve by ISBN, DOI, or PubMed ID, Citavi creates a new reference without the PDF attached. This also happens when I do 'Online Search'.

Is there a way to merge?

For now, I have been creating the new reference and then manually adding the PDF. Then I also have to find the duplicate and delete (which is not always an easy task because sometimes there is no metadata at all).

Is there an easier, quicker, and more logical way to update references with the correct metadata while still having the PDF attached?
mickeybell3

Re: Metadata missing when importing PDFs

Postby Sebastian Pabel » 2016-04-01 13:55

Hello, mickeybell3,

when importing PDF files Citavi tries to determine a unique ID (ISBN, DOI, PubMedID) for each PDF file. If that fails, no metadata can be added.

If you have a unique ID for the reference, you can update the data by entering the number into the DOI or PubMed field (you might need to click on More fileds at the bottom of the Reference tab) and click the blue PubMed oder DOI heading. This will update the data for this reference.

The easiest way of merging already existing duplicates is by right-clicking on the attached PDF at the "empty" reference and selecing "copy". You can then paste the PDF at the correct reference and delete the empty reference.

Best regards
Sebastian

Did we answer your question completely? If so, please click the green check mark in the upper-right corner of this post. This helps other users find the solution to their questions.

Sebastian Pabel
Site Admin

Postby mickeybell3 » 2016-04-01 17:32

Hi Sebastian,

Unfortunately, adding the DOI or PubMed ID does not update the data.

Below is an example of a reference which DOI has been added but author, title, etc. are still incorrect.

It would be great if there was a way for this data to update when the DOI is added. If not now, then it would be great with Citavi products in the future.
mickeybell3

Postby Sebastian Pabel » 2016-04-04 08:39

Hi, mickeybell3,

please click on the blue DOI name link after entering the DOI. This will update the bibliographic information as shown in this screenshot.

Best regards
Sebastian

Did we answer your question completely? If so, please click the green check mark in the upper-right corner of this post. This helps other users find the solution to their questions.

Sebastian Pabel
Site Admin

Return to Citavi 5 Support (English)