This forum is read-only - Please use our new Citavi Forum instead.
Dieses Forum dient nur zur Recherche - Bitte nutzen Sie das neue Citavi Forum für Ihre Fragen.

APA same author different year

Got questions about Citavi 5? The Citavi team and other users are happy to help.

APA same author different year

Postby Maria Hahn-Hahn » 2016-03-29 10:55

Systeminformationen: [ Citavi Version 5.2, Windows 10, Deutsch, Google Chrome, MS Office 2016, Acrobat DC ]

Hi,

This may sound silly, but I've been working with citavi for about three months now and everything worked out fine, but today, all of a sudden, a tiny little item changed. I am using a modified APA style which I found here https://support.citavi.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=157&t=8857

Now I have two publications by the same author, however, published in different years. As mentioned above, up to today they were displayed as (Author's last name, year, page number) as they should be. But now they are displayed (Author's last name, year !!!a!!!, page number) and (Author's last name, year !!!b!!!, page number).
What have I done wrong? I am not really aware of having made any changes. Could it have been some kind of update?
Please, let me know what I can do to change this. Switching to the regular APA style guide is not an option, since my university requires access dates to be stated.

Thank you in advance!
Maria Hahn-Hahn

Re: APA same author different year

Postby Jana Votteler » 2016-03-29 15:13

Hi Maria,

thank you for your question.

Please avoid inserting references from different projects in the same document as this can cause problems if Citavi tries to resolve ambiguous authors.

Please check in the Citations tab of the Word Add-In, if there are any references marked with grey question marks. If this is the case, please reassign them to the matching reference in your current project.

Best regards,
Jana

Did we answer your question completely? If so, please click the green check mark in the upper-right corner of this post. This helps other users find the solution to their questions.
Jana Votteler
Citavi Customer Service

Postby Maria Hahn-Hahn » 2016-03-31 16:16

Dear Jana,

Thank you for your answer, unfortunately, this does not seem to be the problem. There are no question marks visible. I'm really not aware of having changed anything, but I guess that doesn't mean much.

Sincerely,

Maria
Maria Hahn-Hahn

Postby Maria Hahn-Hahn » 2016-03-31 16:20

Hi again,

I don't know if this is helpful, but here's a picture of what it looks like to me:

Sincerely,

Maria
Maria Hahn-Hahn

Postby Maria Hahn-Hahn » 2016-03-31 16:30

I'm sorry, this is coming out in blurts, but I want to keep you updated on how this issue is developing.
Interestingly enough, when I open a new document and connect it to the project it works out fine and the citations show up the way they're supposed to (without a and b).
I guess I could just copy the whole paper to a new document...
Maria Hahn-Hahn

Postby Sebastian Pabel » 2016-04-01 10:14

Hi, Maria,

could you send us the document the shows the problems and your customised citation style so that we can have a look at what's going wrong there?

To transfer the files, please use our secure upload service. So that we can match the files to the issue, please put the address of this page in the message field.

Thank you!

Best regards
Sebastian

Did we answer your question completely? If so, please click the green check mark in the upper-right corner of this post. This helps other users find the solution to their questions.

Sebastian Pabel
Site Admin

Postby Maria Hahn-Hahn » 2016-04-01 15:46

Hi Sebastian,
Thanks for you support. I just uploaded the paper along with the style.

Sincerely,
Maria
Maria Hahn-Hahn

Postby Sebastian Pabel » 2016-04-04 14:34

Hi, Maria,

thanks for the files. I assume that your custom citation style is based on a citation style for Citavi 4. This possibly explains the strange behaviour. Could you please adapt the built-in style "APA American Psychological Association, 6th ed." as described in this posting. The output should now be correct.

Best regards
Sebastian

Sebastian Pabel
Site Admin

Postby piotrsmolnicki » 2016-04-07 14:31

I have another problem. Since the original publication is 1978 and I use reprint from let say 2000 (as contribution in book edited) in the in-text-reference appear (Author, 1978/1978). I did nt find it doubled in any place.

This mistake appears only because of the field: "original publication" I noticed...
piotrsmolnicki

Postby Sebastian Pabel » 2016-04-07 15:48

Hi, Piotr,

I assume you are also using APA 6th edition with Citavi 5.2. I can't reproduce this behaviour here. Could you send me a Word document that shows this error?

To transfer the files, please use our secure upload service. So that we can match the files to the issue, please put the address of this page in the message field.

Thank you!

Best regards
Sebastian

Wurde Ihre Frage vollständig beantwortet? Bitte klicken Sie auf das grüne Häkchen (= Antwort akzeptieren) oben rechts in meiner Antwort. Andere Forenbenutzer können sich dann leichter orientieren, wenn sie auf der Suche nach einer Lösung sind.
Sebastian Pabel
Site Admin

Next

Return to Citavi 5 Support (English)