This forum is read-only - Please use our new Citavi Forum instead.
Dieses Forum dient nur zur Recherche - Bitte nutzen Sie das neue Citavi Forum für Ihre Fragen.

Stop / Cancel the ISBN searching function

Got questions about Citavi 5? The Citavi team and other users are happy to help.

Stop / Cancel the ISBN searching function

Postby shenri » 2016-03-20 17:56

System information: [ -, -, -, -, -, - ]

Dear Citavi team,

When we search for one ISBN, DOI, PMID with the "magic tool", if we insert the more than 1 entry, there is no way to stop the process without closing the window and losing the work. What happens frequently is that when you have a huge list of libraries and repositories, this tool takes to long and returns repeated information. BUG: The button cancel does not work, by the way - you should close the window and lose 2 or 3 minutes of search.
How about one button to implement a :
- "stop the search / gathering information" to stick with the actual results/information and;
- A cancel button that works.

Thank you very much,
All the best,
shenri

Re: Stop / Cancel the ISBN searching function

Postby Jana Votteler » 2016-03-21 11:57

Dear shenri

Thank you very much for reporting your experiences with adding multiple books by ISBN number.
Are you working with the latest program version (5.2.0.8)?

I just tested the feature and added ca. 50 ISBNs from the clipboard.
"Cancel" stopped the search of the previous references in the selected databases and new ISBNs could be added from the clipboard. Then, the search automatically continued.
I could cancel the search again and add the retreived references to my project.

Which databases did you select to search for the metadata?
Search results from the first database where the reference is available will be imported.

Citavi does recognize if references with the same ID (ISBN/DOI) have been added to the project:
[This identifier is already in the project.]

You can have a look at duplicate references: References > Show duplicates only.

Kind regards,
Jana

Did we answer your question completely? If so, please click the green check mark in the upper-right corner of this post. This helps other users find the solution to their questions.

Jana Votteler
Citavi Customer Service

Postby shenri » 2016-04-02 03:49

Dear Jana,

1 - Thank you very much for your reply. I am not sure if we are speaking about the same interface. I attached one image to show exactly the moment when I click cancel and the search function still running in background retrieving data from some databases. The only option that really stop this background process is closing the window. When I insert more than one ISBN, I cannot stop in the middle of this process without losing all the work made by the search function, which means that even if I am satisfied with the valid metadata, I still need to wait a couple of minutes to effectively select my items and, then, import. One situation is: I should wait 3 or 4 minutes to get one valid item at the same time that I have 10 invalid. My suggestion is to show a "search progress bar" and add a "stop searching" button - when we are satisfied with the results, we can just stop the process without losing the previous work wonderfully done by Citavi.

2 - Doubts: In the image, I also have some doubts: Sometimes Citavi recognizes all ISBN, DOI and so on... however, sometimes, even with valid number, Citavi don't add them to the function. In this attached image, they are about the same book. My question is: How Citavi determines which numbers should be added and why it refuses those another ones?

3 - Another essential feature that I strongly recommend: When we have one result ( frequently all metadata are not available in one source of metadata information), I cannot investigate further and select another metadata source of information. This weird situation occurs: I am pretty sure that sometimes another source are able to provide more metadata, but Citavi sometimes select the "blank" source and apparently interrupt the search process. In such cases, Instead of searching further, I gave up and made manually because Citavi just selected blank information.

4 - Another feature: I would like also to be able to fully visualize all the information downloaded, not just the title, author and so on. As far I know, this option is not available, although CITAVI apparently downloaded it. I mean,instead of just the author, the we should be able to expand those views in the "search ISBN" window to be able to select the source and fully identify all metadata downloaded to, thus, make a decision to import or not. Or even in some cases, be able to select which metadata is more well written and provides all fields with the correct information. To me, is always a surprise, sometimes not so good, to discover what information I am importing after I import. Citavi, in such cases, don´t give choice. Just to be clear, I speaking about just one item and choice about all the information downloaded from sources about this same item.

Thank you very much,
All the best,
Sylvio
Attachments
cancel.jpg
shenri

Postby Jana Votteler » 2016-04-04 09:31

Dear Sylvio

Thank you very much for your reply. In the following, I will come back to your points:

1) Thank you for the screenshot. We were talking about the same function.
If you want to search for multiple ISBNs, please do not use the function "Manual entry" but "Text from Clipboard", see our manual.
If you select this option, "Cancel" will stop the search. Please let me know if this function also works for you.

2) Please use the option mentioned in 1. All identifiers will be selected for the search.

3) The sources Citavi is searching in are listed on the right. They will be searched one after the other until a match was found. Please set your prefered catalog to the first one to search. You can check the source of the bibliographic details in the tab "Reference".
If there are no details listed (blank), right-click in the field "ISBN" or "DOI name" and choose "download" after you selected alternative catalogs to search in.

4) The selection of the source is made when you set the order of the catalogs and databases.
However, I added your wish to display more fields in the ISBN/DOI/PMID search to our internal wish list.
You can check your imported references even later, as they are saved in import groups.

Please just let me know, if I did not address your points correctly or if you have any further questions.

Kind regards,
Jana

Did we answer your question completely? If so, please click the green check mark in the upper-right corner of this post. This helps other users find the solution to their questions.

Jana Votteler
Citavi Customer Service

Postby Jana Votteler » 2016-04-07 10:58

Dear Sylvio,

we recently released a new beta version for Citavi in which the problem you reported in 1 was resolved.
To install Citavi Beta 5.2.2, download the Setup from http://www.citavi.com/beta-download.
Double-click the Citavi5Setup.exe file to start the installation.

All the best,
Jana

[size=85]
Jana Votteler
Citavi Customer Service

Return to Citavi 5 Support (English)