This forum is read-only - Please use our new Citavi Forum instead.
Dieses Forum dient nur zur Recherche - Bitte nutzen Sie das neue Citavi Forum für Ihre Fragen.

How to enter department in organisation to Citavi?

Got questions about Citavi 5? The Citavi team and other users are happy to help.

How to enter department in organisation to Citavi?

Postby piotrsmolnicki » 2016-02-25 12:54

System information: [ -, -, -, -, -, - ]

Dear Citavi Team,

When I have to put Organization to the reference I have most of the time problem how to put department/faculty of the university - how should I make it:
deparment; institution; [I don't think so if there could be more same departments in other institutions]
or
department | institution;
or
institution | department;
or just
institution; [in this case I recommend to implement organization-tree feature - one inside another - to Citavi]

Best Regards,
Piotr

BTW. what about more languages of institution name?
Technische Universität Wien [(TU Wien) as abbreviation] and Vienna University of Technology
There is no "other names" in Organization field
piotrsmolnicki

Re: How to enter department in organisation to Citavi?

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2016-02-25 13:39

Dear Piotr,

Thanks for your question! Depending on the reference type and the citation style you're using, you don't always need to add the department or institute within an organization. For example, you can add a department to the Institute field in the Thesis reference type, but you can't add it as a separate entry in the Journal article reference type. Could you give us an example of a reference with an organization and institution where you'd want to cite both?

Unfortunately, there's currently no way to enter different language versions of an organization's name. You can enter alternate names in the Notes field under Lists > Persons and organizations, but these are not searchable.

Best regards,
Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Postby piotrsmolnicki » 2016-02-25 19:59

I add an attachment:
Attachments
Untitled picture.jpg
Best Regards,
Piotr
piotrsmolnicki

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2016-02-26 08:48

Dear Piotr,

Thanks for the example! Here I would only enter "Centre of Regional Science, Vienna UT" in the Organization field. If you look on page three of the document, you'll see the copyright statement "© Centre of Regional Science, Vienna UT, October 2007". Although the other organizations were involved in the research for the report, only the one institute is listed in the copyright statement, so that is the only one I would enter.

Best regards,
Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Postby piotrsmolnicki » 2016-02-26 15:29

Hi,

OK, I missed this but my question was "how to type it to Citavi?" ;)
I guess it's included in your answer - first department, then comma and institution: "Centre of Regional Science, Vienna UT". I miss abbreviation option but it's a detail - I don't want to put too much pressure, I just imagine to link persons to specific organisations and their institutions (I've mentioned it on the forum this week's another topic, as far as I remember) ;)

Thanks,
Piotr

BTW. I will add the rest of collaborators to the Collaborators field
piotrsmolnicki

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2016-02-26 15:57

Hi Piotr,

Thanks for your reply! I would enter it as "Centre of Regional Science, Vienna UT" since that's what you see in the copyright statement. You can add an abbreviation under Lists > Persons and organizations to the organization if you want.

As far as linking persons with organizations is concerned (and authority control of persons in general), this is unfortunately very difficult to do technically and is not something we're planning to add to Citavi.

Please note that most citation styles do not output the Collaborators field.

Best regards,
Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Return to Citavi 5 Support (English)