This forum is read-only - Please use our new Citavi Forum instead.
Dieses Forum dient nur zur Recherche - Bitte nutzen Sie das neue Citavi Forum für Ihre Fragen.

Direct Quotation of Text and Images together

Got questions about Citavi 5? The Citavi team and other users are happy to help.

Direct Quotation of Text and Images together

Postby hbat » 2016-02-24 18:01

System information: [ Citavi Version 5.2, Windows 7, English, -, -, - ]

I want to quote a text and an accompanying figure together. When I select the image and hold CTRL to select the text, I cannot select both. I should either select the text with the figure as a large image, this is inconvenient because I want the text to be searchable; or I should create two direct quotations, one for the text and one for the image, this is inconvenient as well.

Additionally, if a table (figure) is a long one that expands to multiple pages, I cannot take a snapshot of it while holding CTRL.

Is there something that I am missing here?
hbat

Re: Direct Quotation of Text and Images together

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2016-02-25 09:53

Hello hbat,

Thanks for your question! Unfortunately, there's no way to save an image together with text other than using the snapshot tool for both the text and the image. As you pointed out, the text is then part of the image and isn't searchable. As a workaround, you could save the quotation and then copy the text into the Caption or Description field, depending on whether you want to be able to insert the quotation into your document later on or if you just want to save the quotation as additional information related to the image.

I would generally recommend creating two separate quotations, one for the image and one for the text. Usually, image quotations are just inserted with a short caption and their source information. The quotation pertaining to the image would then appear in the body of your text. For this reason, it makes sense to save the direct quotation and the image as two separate knowledge items.

It's unfortunately not possible to save parts of an image across a page break while holding CTRL (this is possible for text, however). Unlike text, it's tricky to automatically meld parts of an image together and as Citavi is not a graphics editing program, it's a bit beyond the program's capabilities. You could use a program like SnagIt to take a screenshot of both parts of the image and then combine them into one image. This combined image could then be saved in Citavi as an image quotation.

Please just let us know if you have any additional questions!

Best regards,
Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Postby piotrsmolnicki » 2016-05-03 22:39

When I click Enter in the image description the quote window always closes.
I just want to separate references to the quoted image (for example author's image is based on [8], [14]).
I know there is a possibility to copy both references at the same time using ctrl, but it does not solve the Enter problem. ;)
piotrsmolnicki

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2016-05-04 08:29

Hi Piotr,

Thanks for sharing this observation with us! Here the Enter key is working "by design". If you want a line break in the Description field, please press Ctrl+Enter.

Best regards,
Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Postby piotrsmolnicki » 2016-05-04 14:30

Thanks!
Normally Shift+Enter works in other cases (which I tried). Is there any reason why in this case it's Ctrl+Enter? :)
piotrsmolnicki

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2016-05-10 08:40

Hi Piotr,

I checked with our developer about Shift+Enter. He confirmed that that was a small bug and has already fixed the problem for the next beta version.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

Best regards,
Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Return to Citavi 5 Support (English)