This forum is read-only - Please use our new Citavi Forum instead.
Dieses Forum dient nur zur Recherche - Bitte nutzen Sie das neue Citavi Forum für Ihre Fragen.

PDF loses highlight after import

Got questions about Citavi 5? The Citavi team and other users are happy to help.

PDF loses highlight after import

Postby Henrik Sørensen » 2016-02-22 13:55

System information: [ Citavi Version 5.2, Windows 7, Other language, Internet Explorer 10-11, MS Office 2010 32Bit, Acrobat X ]

Hi,

I have a number of PDF's with highlighting made in Acrobat Pro X. When I import one of these PDF's to Citavi, either using References > Import ... or the Picker from Acrobat, the file appears in Citavi with highlighting intact. However, after moving away from and then returning to the reference with the PDF, all highlighting has disappeared. It doesn't help to save / close Citavi while I can see the highlighting - after reopening Citavi, the highlighting is gone. In an answer to a previous tread, Jennifer wrote that PDF notes made externally disappear, but highlighting made externally is imported. That doesn't seem to be the case for me.

Has anybody else experienced this problem, or have you imported externally highlighted PDF's without problems?

Kind regards,
Henrik
Henrik Sørensen

Re: PDF loses highlight after import

Postby Henrik Sørensen » 2016-02-22 14:46

Hi again,

After a little more fiddling aorund, it seems to me that Acrobat and Citavi's Integrated PDF preview feature don't work too well together.

1. PDF highlighting made externally is not visible in Preview. Citavi doesn't delete the highlighting, though - if I open the PDF in Acrobat, I can see the externally made highlighting again (but see point 3).

2. PDF highlighting made in Preview is saved, but cannot be seen if the PDF is opened in Acrobat.

3. In order to see highlighting made in Preview in Acrobat, Citavi offers the Preview > Tools > Export PDF Annotations ... feature, but this feature simultanously and without warning removes highlighting made in Acrobat.

Thus, it seems I Citavi allows me to make and see highlighting made in either Preview or Acrobat, but not both.

... in case you wanted to know. :-)

Kind regards,
Henrik
Henrik Sørensen

Re: PDF loses highlight after import

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2016-02-22 17:46

Hi Henrik,

Thanks for your post! I haven't been able to reproduce this problem on my computer. When I import a PDF file highlighted in Adobe Acrobat X, the highlights remain visible in the preview after switching to another reference and after restarting Citavi. Even when exporting annotations from Citavi the highlighting remains.

Is this error by any chance occurring with PDFs you imported in an earlier version of Citavi? Or can you reproduce the problem even when adding new PDF files? Also, are the PDF files saved locally, on a network drive, or in a DropBox or OneDrive folder?

Thanks again for letting us know about this error!

Best regards,
Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Return to Citavi 5 Support (English)