This forum is read-only - Please use our new Citavi Forum instead.
Dieses Forum dient nur zur Recherche - Bitte nutzen Sie das neue Citavi Forum für Ihre Fragen.

Automatic Child reference linking

Got questions about Citavi 5? The Citavi team and other users are happy to help.

Automatic Child reference linking

Postby bonson » 2016-02-19 01:42

System information: [ Citavi Version 5.0-5.1, Windows 10, English, Google Chrome, MS Office 2007, Acrobat XI ]

Hello,

I imported the PDF first into the system. Then I got the bib file and imported that. Now I am seeing 2 references. I only want one item o show up with all the details including all the citation information.

When I try to remove the unwanted one it gives an error and removes both.

I have the PDF and the BibTex file my local desktop . How do I put it in so that it shows only one item rather than in Citavi.?

Regards,
Bonson
Attachments
Image.jpg
Error Sreenshot
bonson

Re: Automatic Child reference linking

Postby Sebastian Pabel » 2016-02-19 15:43

Hello, bonson,

the document in your screenshot is a contribution in a conference proceedings volume. Citavi keeps two entries for such publication: the article itself and the book that contains the article. You can't remove the book from your list as it contains relevant data (publisher, ...) for the article.

Regarding the sequence of importing the data, it's possible better to import the bib file first and then add the PDF to the corresponding reference.

Best regards
Sebastian

Did we answer your question completely? If so, please click the green check mark in the upper-right corner of this post. This helps other users find the solution to their questions.

Sebastian Pabel
Site Admin

Postby piotrsmolnicki » 2016-02-23 23:01

Dear Sebastian,

I think for beginners it's complicated to see each child reference separated from parent reference on the list - I know there is at least possibility to block parent- and child reference together on the left pane list of references by adding plug-in (but it's over my skills - I tried it last year without success). Is it working with newest Citavi version? As far as I remember the information are in German language. (I know "blocking-together" complicates alphabetic order of references)

Since I can recognize myself as not-a-beginner I get use to it but still I recommend to visualize child references somehow on the list. Citavi has user-friendly interface but it can be better. Everything is literally explained but could be also visually explained (you know - even multi-storey parkings have different floor colours). ;)

Best Regards,
Piotr
piotrsmolnicki

Postby Jana Votteler » 2016-02-24 10:44

Dear Piotr,

thanks for your suggestion to visualize parent and child references, which I'm happy to add to our wish list for new features (no. 18771).

Since you know that our main focus right now is on Citavi Web, I unfortunately can't promise when or if the feature will be added.

Best regards,
Jana
Jana Votteler
Citavi Customer Service

Return to Citavi 5 Support (English)