This forum is read-only - Please use our new Citavi Forum instead.
Dieses Forum dient nur zur Recherche - Bitte nutzen Sie das neue Citavi Forum für Ihre Fragen.

One PDF to many contributions with their page numbers

Got questions about Citavi 5? The Citavi team and other users are happy to help.

One PDF to many contributions with their page numbers

Postby piotrsmolnicki » 2016-02-05 17:01

Dear Citavi Team,

Is there any way to extrude a contribution (with its page numbers) from one PFD with report or edited book?

I find it complicated to import the same PDF to each contribution (even more to play with PDF in other programs to separate it for contributions). I expect Citavi to "automate" it (even virtually - not creating new PDFs but just previewing their correct part in each contribution)

Another thing: is it possible to apply page numbers to PDF which has for eample the first page number few pages after beginning? If not I suggest to add it to the Wishlist. It will later automate page numbering when citing. Or if I have only few pages PDF of whole book (for example scans) I would like to set up each page number in PDF. It could be also mentioned in reference tab that I have PDF with [number] of pages and/or pages with numbers: [number, number-number] in my attachments.

Best Regards,
Piotr Smolnicki
piotrsmolnicki

Re: One PDF to many contributions with their page numbers

Postby piotrsmolnicki » 2016-02-06 00:32

BTW. I would like to have a preview of all quotations in Parent Reference.
I wonder how technically could it work and I found two ways:
- Citavi recognizes the page numbers of quotations therefore it automatically preview correct quotations in contributions (you can put them in Parent reference),
or opposite,
-Citavi recognizes the page numbers of contributions, therefore it can preview all quotations in parent reference chronologically.

I find this missing every time I work with edited books, reports and their contributions.
piotrsmolnicki

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2016-02-08 18:05

Hi Piotr,

Thanks for your suggestions! Unfortunately, there's no way to automatically extrude the part of the PDF pertaining to the contribution. I'm also pretty sure this is something that isn't technically feasible for Citavi, unfortunately. I'll add the suggestion to our wish list, though.

The first time you add a quotation, Citavi applies the page numbering to the PDF, so the other quotations should automatically receive the correct page numbers.

I'm also happy to add your suggestion regarding the quotations preview to our wish list as well.

Thanks again!

Best regards,
Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Postby piotrsmolnicki » 2016-02-17 22:51

Aha! So it's not magic the correct numbering! ;)

But sometimes I have problem when I notice that it's not a "page" but "location", and I can not change it (it's "grayed" (unchangable). Right now I do not remember the case - I think it's when I apply it wrong to the first quotation it repeats the mistake to each other (maybe?). Or maybe it is between parent and contribution, when I mistakenly leave "page" instead of "location" I can not change it later for all reference.

Best Regards,
Piotr Smolnicki
piotrsmolnicki

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2016-02-18 09:22

Hi Piotr,

What do you mean exactly by location? Do you change the page numbering type in such cases? The automatic numbering probably won't work correctly if you have two different numbering systems in the PDF. It's definitely conceivable that entering the page incorrectly in the first quotation would lead to it being incorrect for the others as well, though.

If you do run across an example with locations which can't be edited, could you please send us the PDF and a screenshot?

Thanks!

Best regards,
Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Postby piotrsmolnicki » 2016-02-20 21:09

Dear Jennifer,

I mean that sometimes when I add Kindle Locations mistakenly as Page Numbers I can not change it to "Other" because everything is grayed. I think it's about Contributions and Edited Books/Reports - once you do it wrong you have to keep it as a page.

Best Regards,
Piotr
piotrsmolnicki

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2016-02-22 14:02

Hi Piotr,

It should still be possible to change the page type by clicking Page range on the Quotation editing window (which you can get to by clicking the upward-pointing arrow). Could you perhaps post a screenshot of where it's grayed out?

Best regards,
Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Postby piotrsmolnicki » 2016-02-23 23:10

Jennifer Schultz wrote:[...] Could you perhaps post a screenshot of where it's grayed out? [...]

Yes, when I find this problem next time.
piotrsmolnicki

Return to Citavi 5 Support (English)