This forum is read-only - Please use our new Citavi Forum instead.
Dieses Forum dient nur zur Recherche - Bitte nutzen Sie das neue Citavi Forum für Ihre Fragen.

Can not open Citavi (no reaction)

Got questions about Citavi 5? The Citavi team and other users are happy to help.

Can not open Citavi (no reaction)

Postby piotrsmolnicki » 2015-12-13 12:50

System information: [ -, -, -, -, -, - ]

Dear Citavi Team,

This weekend I can not open Citavi 5 - no reaction after clicking.
I have tried with Run As Administrator and Troubleshoot Compatibility and also Reinstalling Citavi 5,2.

(I'm trying not to panic)

Best Regards,
Piotr Smolnicki
piotrsmolnicki

Re: Can not open Citavi (no reaction)

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2015-12-14 11:38

Dear Piotr,

Thanks for your question! If Citavi isn't starting, there's usually an issue with Windows or the .NET Framework. Please try the following:
  1. Repair the .NET Framework installation
  2. Use the Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool which can be downloaded from the Microsoft Knowledge Base at http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=30135
    1. Run the Windows System File Checker
    2. On the Start menu, type "cmd.exe". Right-click the only search result (cmd.exe) and then right-click and select Run as administrator.
    3. Type sfc.exe /scannow and press Enter. The System File Checker will run, which may take a while.
    4. Afterwards, check for Windows Updates and install any necessary updates.
      See http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... ws-updates (for Windows 7) or
      http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... update-faq (for Windows 8 and 8.1)
    5. Restart your computer.

Please just let us know if it's still not working after that!

Best regards,
Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Postby piotrsmolnicki » 2015-12-14 17:57

Dear Jenny,

Actually I did nothing and Citavi finally opened after two days. After this I found new errors informing me that I am writing too much (I clicked "Ignore") :P Next time I will "Print Screen" it.

I will be back if something will go wrong again.

Best Regards,
Piotr
piotrsmolnicki

Postby piotrsmolnicki » 2015-12-17 00:14

Dear Citavi Team,

My Citavi started to open long time (more that half a minute) but mostly it does not open at all (not always)!

I do not know where is the problem, but after I checked Task Manager it seams Citavi is trying to open but "Citavi.exe is in deadlock" as shown in the attachment:
Attachments
Citavi can not open.png
"Citavi.exe is in deadlock"
piotrsmolnicki

Postby Sebastian Pabel » 2015-12-17 08:52

Hi, piotrsmonicki,

Would you please help us to identify the error by sending us an activity log?
www.citavi.com/activitylogging - please follow part "B".

Could you please also send us the Windows Event Log entries from around the time of the hang? Instructions for how to do so can be found in the following FAQ articles:

In Windows 7:
http://service.citavi.com/KB/a562/60013 ... vista.aspx

In Windows 8:
http://service.citavi.com/KB/a563/60012 ... trans=true

To transfer the files, please use our secure upload service. So that we can match the files to the issue, please put the address of this page in the message field.

Thank you!

Best regards
Sebastian

Did we answer your question completely? If so, please click the green check mark in the upper-right corner of this post. This helps other users find the solution to their questions.

Sebastian Pabel
Site Admin

Postby piotrsmolnicki » 2015-12-17 13:52

Dear Sebastian,

Ctrl+Alt+F5 does not work (no reaction). I have no idea what instruction means after "If it doesn't":

6. Make sure that steps above worked by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F5 to open the live log viewer. If it doesn't, create a support ticket for technical support. Otherwise, click the Save (disk) button, click All information for this application, and click Next to save the log file.
7. Create a support ticket and attach the log file.

I do my best,
Piotr
piotrsmolnicki

Postby Sebastian Pabel » 2015-12-17 14:17

Dear Piotr,

I'm afraid there's an error in our English translation of that FAQ article. I'm sorry about that. I've already asked our translator to correct the sections in question.

The steps up to step 6 are correct, however. After that please proceed as follows:

6. After reproducing the error, close Citavi again.
7. In the Windows Explorer please navigate to the folder %programdata%\Gibraltar by entering this into the address bar. Right click on the folder [k]Local Logs[/k} and send it to a ZIP compressed folder. This will create a zip file that can upload via our upload service. Please refer to this forum post there.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Did we answer your question completely? If so, please click the green check mark in the upper-right corner of this post. This helps other users find the solution to their questions.

Sebastian Pabel
Site Admin

Postby piotrsmolnicki » 2015-12-17 14:35

Done! (Almost 70MB - please wait few minutes)
piotrsmolnicki

Postby Sebastian Pabel » 2015-12-17 15:49

Dear Piotr,

thanks for the logs. They do look fairly normal. I could see that you open your project from a drive E:. Is that an USB pendrive? If so, that might be the reason for the long delays as a lot of data is read when opening the project. You may want to try and copy your project folder to the local hard drive and open the project from there in order to check if that's the case.

Best regards
Sebastian

Sebastian Pabel
Site Admin

Postby piotrsmolnicki » 2015-12-17 16:57

Sebastian Pabel wrote:Dear Piotr,

thanks for the logs. They do look fairly normal. I could see that you open your project from a drive E:. Is that an USB pendrive? [...]

No - Citavi is installed on system partition C: and all the data I keep on partition E: in case of system crash and need of formatting. And everytime was like this.
So this is not the problem.

BTW. Maybe logs contain only information when Citavi opens? (Most of the times I have to end the proces in Task Manager and try again and again until it opens)

Regards,
Piotr
piotrsmolnicki

Next

Return to Citavi 5 Support (English)