This forum is read-only - Please use our new Citavi Forum instead.
Dieses Forum dient nur zur Recherche - Bitte nutzen Sie das neue Citavi Forum für Ihre Fragen.

Order of files attached to reference

Got questions about Citavi 5? The Citavi team and other users are happy to help.

Order of files attached to reference

Postby aanon » 2015-12-12 00:21

System information: [ Citavi Version 5.2, Windows 7, -, -, -, - ]

Greetings,

I'm wondering whether there are any options available to control the order of files attached to a reference. In my usage of Citavi, I often have multiple files attached per reference.

As things stand, when I add a new file, it will be placed according to alphabetical order. Listing in the order added to the project would be much more logical/useful from my point of view. Manual ordering might also help in special cases.

At the moment I am only able to get the listing order I desire by manually renaming files, which would be very time consuming to maintain.

Using automated renaming (Citavi short title) does not seem to achieve my desired outcome. I'm not quite sure which order the files end up in in that case, but it doesn't appear to be chronological from my testing.

Are there any existing options I can use to solve this? If not, could I please submit "file sort order" as a wish list item for a future Citavi version?

Best regards,

aanon
aanon

Re: Order of files attached to reference

Postby jay-squared » 2015-12-12 18:30

FWIW, I have a similar annoyance with the automated renaming. I often add an excerpt from a book as a scan, and then a table of contents as a separate file. Ideally, I want the actual text to be the first attachments (or if it is a number of discontinous PDF files: the first attachments) and then the TOC as the last file. I would have expected to be able to sort the attachments first - potentially using ctrl and arrow keys - and then hitting rename. Alas, once the files are in a certain order, I can't change it and they will be renamed in that order.
jay-squared
Citavi Expert

Postby aanon » 2015-12-14 01:26

Thanks for the solidarity (again) jay-squared.

My usage of Citavi might be quite unusual. Since learning the system during my postgraduate studies, I have applied it to many different organisational challenges, and always appreciated the results. Currently, I am tracking batches of a food product in a quality control/product development setting. Each batch gets a new "reference" listing, and I can add production logs, testing results, images etc as additional attachments. I also use the knowledge item and task management features liberally. What I love about Citavi is that it goes beyond mere record keeping to something much more valuable: synthesis and knowledge creation. It's like an extension and a scaffold for my mind. Almost an unfair advantage, really. :-)

Anyway, despite our quite different uses of Citavi, it is clear that having control over the order of attachments would be an asset in both our cases.

aanon
aanon

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2015-12-14 11:26

Hi aanon and jay-squared,

Thank you both very much for explaining why you would like to see sorting options for attachments. I also like the idea of being able to manually sort attachments with arrow buttons, and I've added that as a feature request to our wishlist. Currently, our main development priority is Citavi Web, however, so it will be a while before we can take a look at adding other features.

Aanon, thanks as well for your kind words and for telling us a little bit about how you currently use Citavi!

Best regards,
Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Postby Bebbi » 2016-02-08 00:29

Hi,

i have posted the same wish here. :-)

Greets

Bebbi
Bebbi
Citavi Expert