Sorting Citavi - hotkeys? macros? shortcuts?

Got questions about Citavi 5? The Citavi team and other users are happy to help.

Sorting Citavi - hotkeys? macros? shortcuts?

Postby slaterish » 2017-05-03 13:20

System information: [ Citavi Version 5.x Beta, Windows 10, English, Firefox 43 or newer, MS Office 2016, Acrobat DC ]

I often need to sort my references by 'Modified on', Descending - this is simply the quickest way to get to whatever I''m currently working on. This takes quite a few steps (Tools - sort - custom - find 'modified' - click descending). It's quicker of coiurse using Table - but then to look at quotes I have to go back to the main database anyway....

And then I usually have to sort on name, alphabetically, to look at other texts - and then do it all over again to find what I most recently worked on...

So: is there a way to create a keyboard shortcut to go straight to 'sorted on modified, descending' and then back to alphabetical?

There is no way I'm going to be able to write a macro in C++, so that is not an option.

This looks like a nerdish problem, but in fact I have it several times every hour - which is why I'm finally hitting the forum with it...

Help?!

don
slaterish

Re: Sorting Citavi - hotkeys? macros? shortcuts?

Postby Sonja_Schwab » 2017-05-03 17:32

Hi Don,

I am not sure if I understand correctly how far you want to go back with finding your most recently modified titles. But if you are acutally just looking for the last few titels you have been working on in your current session you can simply use the "History feature":

Recently_viewed_titles.jpg

This list is built while your project is open and is cleared when you close the project. So when you want to continue your previous work, you will still have to use the custom sorting at the beginning of a session.
Selecting a title in the history list will not change the sorting in your titles window (e.g. alphabetically) as long as your title is part of the displayed selection.
That's not as sophisticated as using hotkeys or makros (which I don't know that much about myself) but maybe it's one step closer to what you are looking for.

Sonja
Sonja_Schwab
Citavi Expert

Postby Jana Votteler » 2017-05-04 09:25

Dear Don,

thank you for your question.

In addition to Sonja's great idea, you could also use the "Recent changes" button in the bottom right.

However, this will create a selection and does not influence the sorting of your reference list.

Unfortunately, there is no shortcut for sorting the reference list, or quickly switching the sorting preferences.

Kind regards,
Jana

Did we answer your question completely? If so, please click the green check mark in the upper-right corner of this post. This helps other users find the solution to their questions.

Jana Votteler
Citavi Customer Service

Postby slaterish » 2017-05-15 10:01

Hi Jana - I hadn't noticed the recent change button - that is a reasonable work around in fact - thanks. by making that selection I can pretty much gather together what I am currently working on.

But it would be great if citavi were somewhat more customizable - not good to have otpions that are central to workflow buried so many layers deep. Simple ability to create keyboard shortcuts would solve all this.

Don
slaterish

Return to Citavi 5 Support (English)