Citavi cannot find PDF files (they exist!)

Got questions about Citavi 5? The Citavi team and other users are happy to help.

Citavi cannot find PDF files (they exist!)

Postby mgc1987 » 2017-05-15 23:40

System information: [ Citavi Version 5.4, Windows 10, English, Firefox 43 or newer, MS Office 2016, Acrobat DC ]

I have imported a few journal article PDFs from a local folder on my computer. The bibliographic data loaded correctly, but I am getting an error when I try to view half of the PDF files. The error dialog says "Could not find file C:\Users..."

This happened for 4 out of 8 files. The PDFs exist, and I am able to view them with Acrobat. I tried rebooting Citavi and that did not seem to do anything.

Help! Is this a bug?
mgc1987

Re: Citavi cannot find PDF files (they exist!)

Postby Susanne Sitzler » 2017-05-16 12:13

Hi mgc1987,

thanks for your questions.

Could you please send us one of those PDF files? To transfer the files, please use our secure upload service. So that we can match the files to the issue, please put the address of this page in the message field.

Thank you!

Best regards
Susanne

Did we answer your question completely? If so, please click the green check mark in the upper-right corner of this post. This helps other users find the solution to their questions.
Susanne Sitzler
Citavi Customer Service

Postby mgc1987 » 2017-05-17 23:56

I was able to solve my own problem. Sometimes, when you download a PDF'd journal article from a publisher website, the file name will have symbols and characters beyond the usual text description of the file. For example, author_year_~|.pdf

When I cleaned up the file name of the PDF to read just text, the problem resolved. It appears that Citavi can 'choke' on file names with certain characters.
mgc1987

Postby Susanne Sitzler » 2017-05-18 08:57

Hi mgc1987,

thanks for writing back.

I'm glad to hear that everything is now working as it should be!

There are particular characters not allowed in Windows file names:
  • < (less than)
  • > (greater than)
  • : (colon)
  • " (double quote)
  • / (forward slash)
  • \ (backslash)
  • | (vertical bar or pipe)
  • ? (question mark)
  • * (asterisk)
and:
  • 0x00-0x1F
  • 0x7F
Best regards
Susanne

Did we answer your question completely? If so, please click the green check mark in the upper-right corner of this post. This helps other users find the solution to their questions.
Susanne Sitzler
Citavi Customer Service

Return to Citavi 5 Support (English)