Importing Kindle highlights from Amazon website

Got questions about Citavi 5? The Citavi team and other users are happy to help.

Importing Kindle highlights from Amazon website

Postby julia96154 » 2015-05-17 17:20

System information: [ Citavi Version 5, Windows 7, English, Google Chrome, MS Office 2010 64Bit, - ]

Hello. I tried to import some of my Kindle highlights from the Amazon website today into Citavi 5. At first the 'import into Citavi" logo appeared just below the highlight but then it disappeared. This is the first time I have tried this operation with Citavi 5. I have reinstalled the Citavi 5 programme making sure to select all the relevant Citavi Pickers and checked that the Chrome extension for Citavi is switched on in the Settings/Extension menu of the Chrome browser. Please can you help. Best wishes, Julia Watson.
julia96154

Re: Importing Kindle highlights from Amazon website

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2015-05-18 10:26

Hello Julia,

Thanks very much for your question! We've been able to reproduce the problem, and it appears to be an error in Citavi. We'll very likely have this fixed in the next beta version (> 5.0.9). Until then, please first add the book to Citavi (using the ISBN number, for example). After that, add quotations using the Chrome picker.

Best regards,
Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Postby piotrsmolnicki » 2015-12-16 23:30

Dear Citavi Team,

In addition to disappearing saving to Citavi option - I attach how it looks in my Highlights - (I don't know why I have it in Polish "Zapisz do Citavi" but maybe this is the problem?) another problem is that after importing nothing changes - no reaction, neither "Show in Citavi" works (because nothing new appeared in Citavi).

I also mentioned in another topic problem with disappearing Kindle Note (quote headtitle in Citavi) after clicking OK - instead appear default first few words from the quote.
Attachments
Zrzut ekranu 2015-12-16 23.40.43.png
This is how it should look (my question is why it's English and Polish together?). It started working after closing Citavi and restarting Chrome (Don't know if it's a coincidence). I scrolled down this time and everything is OK. Instead I can not open Citavi again... :/
Zrzut ekranu 2015-12-16 23.16.53.png
This is how error looks like, especially after scrolling down Amazon Highlights web page
piotrsmolnicki

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2015-12-17 13:52

Hi Piotr,

Thanks for your question! The Picker always appears in the browser language, so this is why the command is appearing in Polish. As mentioned in the answer to your other forum post, we noticed that the feature doesn't work reliably (i.e. sometimes reference information is not transferred to Citavi), so we'll be removing the Kindle feature in the next beta version.

Best regards,
Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Postby piotrsmolnicki » 2017-03-14 23:48

Dear Jennifer,

doesn't Citavi Picker support Amazon Highlights import anymore?
I believe it was my favourite feature of Citavi add-ons... even it sometimes couldn't work (I think it was browsing security conflict) when it did it made work much faster (especially that Kindle Notes where automatically put into the quotation window Core Statement)!

I just noticed I have hundreds of quotes from Kindle books that will take a month to move them manually into Citavi.

This is not the Wishlist topic, but I wish Amazon Highlights Picker come back...

Sincerely,
Piotr
piotrsmolnicki

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2017-03-15 11:02

Hi Piotr,

Thanks for asking about this! We had to remove the feature since there was no way to ensure that it would work reliably. Sometimes the feature would work and sometimes it wouldn't. Since we couldn't figure out the pattern, we weren't able to correct the problem. Hopefully with a future Kindle update this feature might again be possible.

Best regards,
Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Postby piotrsmolnicki » 2017-03-15 21:15

I noticed the feature did not work when the icon of a "shield" appeared in the web address in Chrome - but not always (since the feature does not exist the shield disappeared also).
piotrsmolnicki

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2017-03-16 09:31

Hi Piotr,

Thanks for your observation! I'll pass this along to the developer responsible for the feature. Since our whole development team is working really hard on Citavi 6 and Citavi Web at the moment, we might only be able to take a look at the Kindle feature again later this year or next year.

Best regards,
Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Return to Citavi 5 Support (English)