This forum is read-only - Please use our new Citavi Forum instead.
Dieses Forum dient nur zur Recherche - Bitte nutzen Sie das neue Citavi Forum für Ihre Fragen.

Importing from Zotero

Download and discuss pre-release versions of Citavi.

Importing from Zotero

Postby lucas » 2010-10-23 06:44

FIrst of all, thanks for making the new version of Citavi available! I'm excited to try it out.

Currently I store my references and notes in Zotero, and I am looking for a way to get my Zotero data into Citavi. Ideally, I would be able to import references, notes, and associated PDF's, but I realize it may not be possible to import associated PDF's automatically. However, it seems to me that there should be a way to import notes automatically. When I export my Zotero database as a Bibtex file, notes are tagged with the "annote" key. However, when I import the Bibtex file into a Citavi project, the notes do not seem to import.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Lucas

UPDATE: It turns out that I can import the PDF's (semi-) automatically! So all that remains is to figure out how to import notes.

UPDATE 2: I have now discovered that Citavi did indeed associate the "annote" Bibtex key with the "Note" field in Citavi. But there was some problem with extraneous formatting marks in the Zotero-generated Bibtex file that seem to have messed up the import, so that only short excerpts from each note were imported. I'm going to look into it some more and see what I can figure out.
Last edited by lucas on 2010-10-23 21:00, edited 1 time in total.
lucas

Re: Support for Bibtex field "annote"?

Postby pstock » 2010-10-23 17:21

Hi. Lucas,

Could you please share your method for importing pdfs from zotero to citavi semi-automatically?

I also have most of my references in zotero at this point, but would really like, ultimately, to switch over to citavi for it's superior note-taking, annotation and idea-organizing capabilities. For this reason, I am also eager to hear how you ultimately fared with importing notes.

Cheers
David
pstock

Re: Importing from Zotero

Postby lucas » 2010-10-23 22:38

Hi David,

(I changed the subject of this thread to "Importing from Zotero")

Could you please share your method for importing pdfs from zotero to citavi semi-automatically?

Sure. Here's what I did:

• From Zotero, export your library in BibTex format (be sure to check the box for "Export Files"). You will be given the opportunity to name the exported file folder. Let's say you name it "zotero-export".
  • From Citavi, let's say you create a new project entitled "MyCitavi". Open that project, and then go to File--Import. For the import type, click on "A text file". Click "Next". In the next window, click on "BibTex", then click "Next". Browse to the file folder "zotero-export", open it, and select the automatically created file "zotero-export.bib". Proceed with the import as normal.
  • Now, here comes the "semi-automatic" part. When you add files to a Citavi project, they are stored in a file folder entitled "files". But assuming "MyCitavi" is a new project and all we've done is import "zotero-export.bib", then the "files" folder will not have been created yet. Conveniently enough, the export file "zotero-export" also contains a folder entitled "files" (in addition to the file entitled "zotero-export.bib"). So all we have to do is drag or copy the "files" folder from one location to the other. One my computer, for example, I would find the "files" folder located here: <My Documents\Downloads\zotero-export\files> and drag it to my Citavi project here: <\My Documents\Citavi 3\Projects\MyCitavi> . (Note: If MyCitavi already contains a file folder entitled "files", then just copy the contents of the one folder into the other. However, I'm guessing the most problem-free approach would be to start with a new Citavi project.)
  • That's it! Your files should now be accessible from within Citavi. (Disclaimer: I'm not an expert! This is just what worked for me.)

Well, I hope that works --- let me know if you have questions.

As for importing the notes, it lookes like it will require some manual editing of "zotero.export.bib" --- but I haven't gotten around to solving that yet. I'm hoping that I will be able to re-import the edited .bib file without creating duplicates, but I haven't tried it yet.

(Another question is about PDF mark-up --- as far as I now, this isn't really standardized, but it would be great to have a way to access within Citavi highlighting and comments made in other programs.)

Anyway, I agree about the superior idea-organizing abilities of Citavi --- I look forward to trying them out!

Best,
Lucas
lucas

Postby pstock » 2010-10-24 00:05

Thanks, Lucas. Clever solution! I appreciate your taking the time to explain it. I look forward to working on this next week, when I have some time. I'll certainly share any insights I happen upon.

Cheers,
David
pstock

Postby lucas » 2010-10-24 01:42

One clarification, in case it wasn't clear before: Using the method described above, not only will the files be accessible from within Citavi, but they will automatically be associated with their corresponding reference entries. I guess the BibTex export creates some kind of key association between reference entries and file locations.

To be continued...

Cheers,
Lucas
lucas

Postby Antonio Tejada » 2010-10-25 09:56

Great tip, Lucas!

Thanks,
Antonio
Antonio Tejada
Citavi Customer Service

Postby Whistle » 2010-10-31 01:08

Does the Citavi team plan to include an importer from Zotero?
Whistle

Postby Antonio Tejada » 2010-11-01 08:39

Hi Whistle,

A separate import filter for Zotero is not planned, since Zotero exports to the industry-standard RIS format, which Citavi can import.

Regards,
Antonio
Antonio Tejada
Citavi Customer Service

Postby lucas » 2010-11-01 20:22

I initially tried using RIS, but there were annoying issues like unnecessary "/" signs at the beginnings of all the names (or something like that --- don't remember exactly). Hence I ended up using BibTex as described above.
lucas

Postby Antonio Tejada » 2010-11-02 11:15

Hi Lucas,

Thanks for the heads-up. We'll do some tests and see where the problem is. (FYI: Because our RIS filter is used so frequently, it's quite battle-tested. When problems crop up, more often than not, we find that the source RIS file does not conform to the standard.)

Regards,
Antonio
Antonio Tejada
Citavi Customer Service

Next

Return to Preview and Beta Versions