This forum is read-only - Please use our new Citavi Forum instead.
Dieses Forum dient nur zur Recherche - Bitte nutzen Sie das neue Citavi Forum für Ihre Fragen.

Lost ability to open v5 project file and backups

Download and discuss pre-release versions of Citavi.

Lost ability to open v5 project file and backups

Postby ethno » 2015-01-16 20:36

Hi. I am a new Citavi user. I had been trying out v4, but really, really, really needed some of the new features in v5--including the ability to annotate PDFs (and capture images from PDF files that are images of text rather than text). After using v5 for an hour or so, I realized that there was many more features that were EXACTLY what I wanted. I was in love.

Thus, I kept on using it (knowing the risk). I did assume that even if the program had an issue and lost what I was currently working on that I would have a backup (if I was making them, which I was). Well, now I'm not so sure that I had any reason to be assured.

Here's what happened:

1. I was working in v5 after a few hours and had assembled a rather significant amount of work (categories, keywords, etc.). I was very pleased how it was working just how I wanted. I kept backing up about every 20 minutes or so.
2. I was working on one document and double-clicked on the reference list another document. Suddenly I got an error message and was told the program needed to close. I (regrettably) didn't get the error information to the clipboard.
3. When I attempt to re-open the most recently saved file, I get the message: "Input string not in correct format." I do not seem to be able to open the file by any means (through the program start page, through double clicking on the file, etc.).
4. Now, most alarmingly, when I go to the program start page (or double click the file) and open up any of my backup files of the project that I had been working on (from about 20 and 40 minutes prior to the crash, respectively), these do open, but appear "broken."
5. While the backups open (and appear to then populate the active project folder and not just the backup folder), there are no documents included. Further, the entire knowledge work that I was doing (categories, keywords, quotes, comments, etc.) is entirely gone. Again, this is from a backup created well before the crash. Also, the bibliographic information is now somehow stripped of most of its information, though some of it is there.

I'm mystified why the backups do not work. I understand that I took a chance, so no blame here. I'm just trying to recover something of the past few hours. Even after this, I'm hooked. Version 5 is EXACTLY what I need. Version 4 was close, but I may very well NOT have adopted it without these (apparent) improvements in Version 5. Now, given my recent experience ... I'm a little concerned but assume that the program will (eventually) be rock solid.

Until then, is there anything anyone can do to help me? Please ...? ;-)

I am using the latest version of Windows 7, 64bit.

Cheers,

Brian
ethno

Re: Lost ability to open v5 project file and backups

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2015-01-19 09:04

Hi Brian,

Thanks very much for your kind words and the description of the problem you're encountering. Could you possibly send us your project file and one of the backups from before the crash? I can't promise that we'll be able to recover your categories and knowledge items, but sometimes our developers are able to by taking a look at the project in an SQL database editor.

In addition, our developers are naturally keen to prevent problems like this from happening again! Could you possibly send us the entries in the Windows Event Log from around the time of the crash? This should help our developers better pinpoint the source of the error. A guide for finding the event log entries can be found here:
http://service.citavi.com/KB/a562/60013 ... vista.aspx

To transfer the event log entries, please use our secure upload service. So that we can match the files to the issue, please put the address of this page in the message field.

One other quick question: you said that you were working on two documents at the time of the crash. Was the Word Add-In active in both documents? Also, do you remember which citation style was selected? Do you by any chance also remember what was open in Citavi at the time? (i.e. were you in the Reference Editor with a PDF file open in the preview or in the Knowledge Organizer).

Thanks so much!

Best regards,
Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Postby ethno » 2015-01-19 14:26

Hi Jennifer.

Thank you for your reply. I will say again that upon finding Catavi, I thought that it was really quite good. Pretty much something that I dreamed of having about 30 years ago (really) and suddenly found. However, upon checking out v5, THEN I realized that THAT was what I had dreamed of all those years ago. When this version is ready (and stable, of course), I will be your greatest fan!

Okay, down to business, I will send the files that you requested (including the log file once I track down the bit that you need).

As for the circumstances at the time of the crash, I was not using the Word Add-In. I haven't used that at all. That's not to say that I haven't had Word open while working in Citavi. However, I have not USED the add-in. I would have been doing something unrelated in Word. I will add that I have both Citavi 4 and 5 installed. I was not using Citavi 4 simultaneously. At the time of the crash, I am fairly sure that I had been annotating a PDF (selecting quotes) and was preparing to open another reference by double clicking its entry in the reference list. By the way, the addition of the ability to annotate the PDFs (having the selections including the new "quick reference" hyperlinked to the exact text in situ) is absolutely fantastic. A game changer for Citavi. I had been considering a qualitative data analysis program (which I use for transcript data) to do the literature too ... but while it had that advantage (by virtue of coding) it really isn't designed for this purpose. Citavi clearly is for working with references in every way.
ethno

Postby ethno » 2015-01-19 15:28

Okay. I've uploaded the files and received confirmation. Thank you.
ethno

Postby Patrick Hilt » 2015-01-20 15:43

Hello Brian,

The error was caused by a faulty entry in the PDF annotations table. We are not sure how it got there, but we fixed the code for the next preview version to prevent it from raising its ugly head again.

Thank you for letting us know.
Best regards
Patrick
Patrick Hilt
Citavi Customer Service

Return to Preview and Beta Versions