This forum is read-only - Please use our new Citavi Forum instead.
Dieses Forum dient nur zur Recherche - Bitte nutzen Sie das neue Citavi Forum für Ihre Fragen.

Record number jumps after importing from EndNote Topic is solved

Got questions about Citavi 3? The Citavi team and other users are happy to help.

Record number jumps after importing from EndNote  Topic is solved

Postby skyblueink » 2013-02-05 08:18

System information: [ Citavi Version 3.0 to 3.3, Windows 7, Other language, Internet Explorer 8-9, MS Office 2007, Acrobat 9 ]

Just for curiosity.
I inputted 35 entries and the record number of the final one is 35.
Then I selected 4 entries from an EndNote .enl file and imported them into Citavi. The import seems to be fine because I don't have any difficulties in manipulating the new entries. But I found the record number of the 4 entries to be 157, 158, 159, and 160, while I expected them to be 36, 37, 38, and 39. Is it OK? This jump of record number from 35 to 157 makes me uneasy.
skyblueink

Re: Record number jumps after importing from EndNote

Postby Patrick Hilt » 2013-02-05 10:23

Hello skyblueink,

that is by design. If you import an EndNote database into Citavi, Citavi maintains the record numbers if they still available. This is to ensure that you can continue your work on papers in which you have inserted some titles from EndNote.

Best regards
Patrick

Did we answer your question completely? If so, please click the green check mark in the upper-right corner of this post. This helps other users find the solution to their questions.
Patrick Hilt
Citavi Customer Service

Postby skyblueink » 2013-02-05 17:15

Thanks for your kind answer.
I have two more questions.
Now I have 1-35 entries I typed in directly from Citavi, and 157-160 entries I imported from EndNote.

(1) I started to type in references from Citavi again, and found that the record number runs 161, 162, 163,.... instead of 36, 37, 38, 39,... Are the record numbers between 36 and 156 supposed not to be used by design?

(2) If a reference is deleted, what happens to the record number assigned to it? Is the number re-assigned to other reference added later, or not used forever? I think recycling of a record number would mess up Format Publication process because the same record number on the paper could refer to different references.
skyblueink

Postby Patrick Hilt » 2013-02-05 17:48

Hallo skyblueink,

Yes, everything is correct. A deleted record number is not used again in Citavi since this would indeed mess up the format publication process. We make sure that this is not going to happen by giving a new title the highest number present in the project +1.
There is only one case in which a lower number is given to a new record: when importing titles from a Citavi project or from an EndNote or Reference Manager database, we try to keep the record numbers whenever possible, because a given document could refer to record numbers from these source databases. In order to maintain this link, we import record numbers if they are free in the destination project.

The combination of both rules explains your case of Citavi maintaining EndNote record numbers and not adding new record numbers in the gap below.

Best regards
Patrick
Patrick Hilt
Citavi Customer Service

Postby skyblueink » 2013-02-05 18:22

Patrick, thank you again.

Currently I don't have any documents referring to record numbers of Citavi database. I'm just collecting references before I start writing later, and want the record numbers of my references neatly go like 1, 2, 3, 4, ... instead of 1,2,...35, 157, 158, 159, 160,.... without any missing numbers. I know this is unnecessary, but anyway I want it done. Is this possible? I suspect that I probably need to export Citavi database into a text file (tab-delimited) and import it again.
skyblueink

Postby Patrick Hilt » 2013-02-05 18:42

Hi skyblueink,

as a matter of fact, you can basically ignore the record numbers. They are there, but you do not use them in any way. You do not even have to look at them in your document, they just provide a machine readable link between the document and the Citavi project - and lastly, with Citavi 4 and the Word AddIn, they become basically obsolete if you use Word. Consider them index numbers as they are used for titles in library catalogs.

That said, you are of course free to export your titles to an excel sheet, correct the record numbers, and import the titles back into a new Citavi project, but you will probably spend some time getting it right, and you might spend that time doing something more creative or fun ;-)

Best regards
Patrick
Patrick Hilt
Citavi Customer Service

Postby skyblueink » 2013-02-05 19:48

Patrick,

Yes, I think I undestood what you mean, and will not be distracted with the record numbers any more from now on.
By the way, may I ask you when Citavi 4 will be released out? I have had problems with typing Korean in Citavi 3.4 (I type in references in EndNote and get them imported into Citavi) and my comments about it were kindly accepted by Jenifer. The Citavi development team seems to already know the problem related to Korean language, and I hope Citavi 4 will come out, complete with Korean language system as well as more advanced features.
Thanks again for answering my questions.

skyblueink
skyblueink

Postby Patrick Hilt » 2013-02-06 07:44

Hello skyblueink,

I am afraid we will not announce release dates any more until we are absolutely sure that we will not have to postpone them. That said, we are planning to release Citavi 4 preview 3 as soon as possible, followed by a beta version.

Best regards
Patrick
Patrick Hilt
Citavi Customer Service

Return to Citavi 3 Support (English)