This forum is read-only - Please use our new Citavi Forum instead.
Dieses Forum dient nur zur Recherche - Bitte nutzen Sie das neue Citavi Forum für Ihre Fragen.

How to update reference information?

Got questions about Citavi 3? The Citavi team and other users are happy to help.

How to update reference information?

Postby aanon » 2012-11-27 08:36

System information: [ Citavi Version 3.3, Windows 8, English, Internet Explorer 9, -, - ]

Hi, I hope this isn't a silly question!

Suppose I have imported a PDF into Citavi and just given it a short title, no other bibliographic information, because I couldn't find the information at the time. How can I update the information later when I find the full details, say on Google Scholar? I don't want to create a new reference because I already started making quotations, etc.

Thank you!

aanon
aanon

Re: How to update reference information?

Postby skittle » 2012-11-27 11:03

You should be able to find the existing reference by searching for the initial short title you entered; then you can update it freely.
skittle

Postby Patrick Hilt » 2012-11-27 11:23

Hello Skittle and Aanon,

I guess what you mean is that you want to automatically update the bibliographic information.
As is so often the case: it depends.
If you find the DOI to the article, you can enter it into the field DOI name and click on the field name like this. You will be asked if you want to replace or append the bibliographic information found on CrossRef:

Other than that, if you are talking about the odd article, it is often quicker to enter the information manually.
We are going to improve on this feature in the future.

Regards
Patrick

Did we answer your question completely? If so, please click the green check mark in the upper-right corner of this post. This helps other users find the solution to their questions.
Patrick Hilt
Citavi Customer Service

Postby aanon » 2012-11-27 11:48

Thank you Patrick and Skittle. Yes, that's right Patrick, I was hoping to update the bibliographic information quickly, either by searching a database, pasting in bibtex information, or merging the reference item with another reference item containing the correct bibiographic information.

I'll check for DOI numbers if this comes up again.

I understand that Citavi is more of a "reference-first" program than others like Mendeley, Papers, etc. that are specifically designed with a PDF management focus. Still, I really hope you can update this aspect of the program (as well as providing PDF renaming that stays up to date when bibliographic information is changed) in a future release to really enhance the ease and joy of working in Citavi.

Thanks for a great program.

aanon
aanon

Return to Citavi 3 Support (English)