This forum is read-only - Please use our new Citavi Forum instead.
Dieses Forum dient nur zur Recherche - Bitte nutzen Sie das neue Citavi Forum für Ihre Fragen.

Error when saving: an error occurred while accessing the pro Topic is solved

Got questions about Citavi 3? The Citavi team and other users are happy to help.

Error when saving: an error occurred while accessing the pro

Postby skittle » 2012-09-21 06:51

System information: [ Citavi Version 3.2, Windows Vista, English, Other browser, MS Office 2007, Acrobat X ]

Hi,

I've been using Citavi for about 3 months now. Today I saw an error which I've not seen before.

Whenever I try to save the project, I see the following appear in an error (red cross) dialog box:

"An error occurred while accessing the project file.

The internal error message is:

Constraint."

That is all I see. The saving is not successful. I've tried exporting the project and saving as a different Citavi project (in order to retain the changes I've made since the error started appearing), but none of them work (they all throw the same error).

When quitting I see the warning message offering two options (to not quit, and attempt to save later, or to quit, losing changes).

Nothing is different on my system. Any ideas on this would be appreciated.
skittle

Re: Error when saving: an error occurred while accessing the

Postby Jörg Pasch » 2012-09-21 08:54

Hi Skittle,

the error message you receive can have several different root causes. One of them is a corrupt project file, which is more likely to occur when a project file resides on a USB stick or network drive. (Sometimes USB sticks are pulled in the middle of a saving operation and also a temporary instability of a network connection can lead to a corruption, just like a crash or power failure.)

Another cause could be a synchronization issue when you are working on a team project together with others. In rare cases there have been problems when synchronizing changes that others have made in the meantime before your changes could be saved to the project file. We have addressed these problems with the new beta C3.2.5 that you can download here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5456

Can you pls. give us a little bit more information on the setup you are working with (is it a solo or team project and where does the file reside). This could help us making a decision on how to proceed. If it is a corrupt file, we could try to repair it. If you are working on a team project, we could examine the so called "local cache file" and compare it to the team project file stored on the network drive to check why the synchronization has failed.

Thank you and kind regards
Jörg
Jörg Pasch
Citavi Customer Service

Postby skittle » 2012-09-22 14:40

Hi Jorg,

Thanks for your help. The installation is not on a USB stick, and it is not on a network drive.

It is a solo project.

I do not believe the file is corrupt, as I can just close Citavi, re-start it, and then carry on as normal. If I do that, it saves fine. After having this message for the first time Thursday evening, I have not seen the message again until today.

I am syncing the folder where the project file resides using Dropbox. Perhaps this is the cause? I realise this isn't recommended. But I've been doing so since I started using Citavi, which was at the beginning of August, and it hasn't caused any problems so far. I use Citavi daily, too, often with it open for days at a time. Moreover, the Dropbox client has not been updated recently. (And I'm always very careful to only have Citavi open on one computer, and to only start it after I can see all the machines are in sync.).

Thanks for your support,

Simon
skittle

Postby Jörg Pasch » 2012-09-24 11:30

Hi Simon,

pls. try pausing the sync process for the duration of your working session with Citavi and restart it afterwards.

We do not recommend using Dropbox for working with Citavi project files (sqlite databases) because we have seen quite a few corrupt databases coming from synced Dropbox folders in the past.

Kind regards
Jörg
Jörg Pasch
Citavi Customer Service

Postby skittle » 2012-09-25 08:02

Hi Jorg,

Thanks for the info.

Do you have a recommended way to sync databases?

Simon
skittle

Re: Error when saving: an error occurred while accessing the  Topic is solved

Postby Patrick Hilt » 2012-09-27 07:00

Hello Simon!

The problem with Citavi and Dropbox is that Citavi quickly closes and reopens the DB every time it saves, which is basically all the time, because whenever you click away from a field, Citavi saves all changes in the background.
Dropbox, on the other hand, grabs a file the moment it is closed and tries to transfer it to the web. This combination sometimes leads to a corrupt Citavi project file.

What you can do to use Citavi safely with Dropbox: pause the syncing while working with Citavi. This is easy enough, since Citavi warns you if you try to open a project in you Dropbox. Just click on the dropbox icon in your system tray and choose the command Pause syncing when the Citavi warning screen appears. All you have to remember is to Resume syncing when you have finished working with Citavi.

Regards
Patrick

Did we answer your question completely? If so, please click the green check mark in the upper-right corner of this post. This helps other users find the solution to their questions.
Patrick Hilt
Citavi Customer Service

Return to Citavi 3 Support (English)