This forum is read-only - Please use our new Citavi Forum instead.
Dieses Forum dient nur zur Recherche - Bitte nutzen Sie das neue Citavi Forum für Ihre Fragen.

"Thesis" references uses only @phdthesis (not@mastersthesis)

Got questions about Citavi 3? The Citavi team and other users are happy to help.

"Thesis" references uses only @phdthesis (not@mastersthesis)

Postby murthyakella » 2012-09-17 07:49

System information: [ Citavi Version 3.2, Windows 7, English, Firefox 8.x - 15.x, MS Office 2007, - ]

Hi,

I wanted to cite some master and bachelor thesis in my report. Hence, to create these references in citavi, I started with "Thesis" references . Then, in the "type of thesis" field, I typed "bachelor" or "master" according to the citing thesis. However, when I export these references at the end to bib format, I see that all these thesis references are exported as @phdthesis instead of @Mastersthesis.

Is there any way I could get these as "@Mastersthesis" directly with citavi instead of manually editting in my latex ide (i.e. TexnicCenter)? Also is there a corresponding "@bachelorthesis" as well?

Regards,
Murthy
murthyakella

Re: "Thesis" references uses only @phdthesis (not@mastersthe

Postby Patrick Hilt » 2012-09-18 08:47

Hi Murthy,

1) Do you just want to tell the kind of thesis in your bibliography?
    In this case, you could write (Bachelor thesis) or (Master thesis) in the field Subtitle. It will be printed "as is" in your bibliography. No further differentiation is necessary nor possible.
OR
2) Do you want to differentiate the types in your citation style? In this case, you need a citation style that
    a) can handle a @bachelorthesis document type and
    b) differentiates between @bachelorthesis, @masterthesis and @phdthesis
    BibTeX:
    In standard BibTeX, there are @masterthesis and @phdthesis, but there is no @bachelorthesis. In BibTeX, you can of course define any document type you want, but then you will have to adapt the citation style or the package accordingly. Citavi does not support thesis type differentiation in standard BibTeX.

BibLaTeX:
    In BibLaTeX, there is an in-built differentiation between types of theses:
    @thesis{bibtexkey1,
    type={mathesis},
    author={...
    }

@thesis{bibtexkey2,
    type={phdthesis},
    author={...
    }

You can of course define them differently and add different types as well.
    Citavi does support thesis type differentiation in BibLaTeX. Please write the type in the field Type of thesis in Citavi and use the BibLaTeX export definition.

Please note that you have to check your LaTeX citation style definition if it supports this kind of differentiation, or adapt it accordingly.

If you have any (Citavi-LaTeX) questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Regards,
Patrick
Patrick Hilt
Citavi Customer Service

Return to Citavi 3 Support (English)