This forum is read-only - Please use our new Citavi Forum instead.
Dieses Forum dient nur zur Recherche - Bitte nutzen Sie das neue Citavi Forum für Ihre Fragen.

Duplicates and Error when Opening PDFs at Wiley Online

Got questions about Citavi 3? The Citavi team and other users are happy to help.

Duplicates and Error when Opening PDFs at Wiley Online

Postby drguptavivek » 2012-09-04 12:07

System information: [ Citavi Version 3.2, Windows 7, English, Firefox 8.x - 15.x, MS Office 2010 64Bit, Acrobat X ]

Hi,
I have just tarted using the CITAVI Free version to see if I may be able to migrate away from Zotero. I especially welcome the Context, commenting and Knowledge features. My basic usage is in Health Sciences / Epidemiology and thereby my choice of Database engines.
I was trying to import a reference on webpage "http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21542839" and tried three ways
1. Using the "HUNTER"
2. Using the "Picker"
3. Going to the "Full Text Online at WILEY" link and using "Picker" there
I ended up having three copies of the same reference in my database with no warning prompt. Further the Webpage DOI link shown in Preview for all three entries is the same. Only the HUNTER saved entry has two links, 1 for the Pubmed page and second for the DOI entry .
To me this is the achilles heal for any reference management program and may be looked into urgently. I believe the same should be easy enough since its basically a check on DOI-URLs

The second issue cropped up when i loaded up the DOI link "http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1528-1167.2011.03029.x" in the preview. Everyone has access to the full text PDF version of the article. However the PDF fails to load or save in preview. Instead what I got was
"AN error Occurred.
This File may be Damaged"
I believe this is due to the way the pdf links are handled in Wiley as the address bar for the PDF file reads as
"http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1528-1167.2011.03029.x/pdf". The PDF in Firefox opens as an embedded window within the HTML page.

Thanks and Best wishes
Vivek
drguptavivek

Re: Duplicates and Error when Opening PDFs at Wiley Online

Postby Patrick Hilt » 2012-09-04 15:39

Hi Vivek,

thank you for your questions.

As a matter of fact, you found two ways that are not yet handled completely satifactorily as far as the duplicate check goes.
If you first import the title with the Hunter and then click on the Citavi symbol (or click on it a second time) the Picker detects the duplicate since it only has to check if the DOI "under the button" is already in the project. If you do it the other way around, duplicate detection has to be done in Citavi, because the Picker/Hunter is not smart enough to do more than a simple DOI or ISBN comparison (or it does not get to see the data).
I grant you that this is indeed not ideal. In the next version (Citavi 4) we want to improve on this.

In the meantime:
Try to import the data with the Picker whenever possible (the Citavi symbol on the web page, Image). The Hunter uses COinS data embedded in the web page which is generally not as reliable as data retrieved via DOI from Crossref.

Your second issue:
As you can see from the link, and as you have yourself observed, this is not a normal PDF document, but an html-Page with an iFrame in which the PDF is loaded. Publishers have recently started to use this kind of setup. We will look into the issue and see what we can do to handle this differently.

Thank you very much for letting us know!

Regards,
Patrick
Patrick Hilt
Citavi Customer Service

Postby drguptavivek » 2012-09-04 19:27

Thanks Patrik for the quick response. I have been using reference managers for some time. Mostly the work I did involved Mendeley initially. However I had trouble with duplicates and Citation styles there. I moved to Zotero when they implemented Duplicates Detection. Another reason was the CSL support in Zotero.
I only recently came across Citavi (yesterday actually!) and really liked the overall interface and integrated functionality that it comes with. However as I have mentioned, the ability to work through duplicates is absolutely essential whichever way it is implemented does not matter so long an effective system exists. I appreciate the efforts that you and teh team are putting in development of the software and am pretty sure that no hurdle is too big :-)
Also please check my other post regarding functionality that will be appreciated by medical fraternity. viewtopic.php?f=85&t=5414

Thanks Again
Vivek
drguptavivek

Postby Patrick Hilt » 2012-09-07 14:15

Hi Vivek,

we also have manual duplicate detection:

Of course, it would be better to detect duplicates before they are actually saved in the project.

Regards,
Patrick
Patrick Hilt
Citavi Customer Service

Return to Citavi 3 Support (English)