This forum is read-only - Please use our new Citavi Forum instead.
Dieses Forum dient nur zur Recherche - Bitte nutzen Sie das neue Citavi Forum für Ihre Fragen.

Books with an author and an editor Topic is solved

Got questions about Citavi 3? The Citavi team and other users are happy to help.

Books with an author and an editor

Postby skittle » 2012-08-07 09:39

System information: [ Citavi Version 3.2, Windows Vista, English, Other browser, -, - ]

Hi,

Is there any way to add a book to Citavi such that it can be listed with both an author and an editor?

I noticed recently that when importing a book all of its editors were imported as authors.

The books I'm querying this for are not edited volumes of articles still have an author and an editor; they are books by a single author but which have had to be edited for whatever reason.

I'm guessing 'Others involved' be the best place to move this information to?

Many thanks

Simon
skittle

Re: Books with an author and an editor

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2012-08-07 13:56

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your question! If you need to list both an author and an editor, I would recommend changing the reference type to Collected Work, since you then have a field specifically for the author and for the editor.

May I ask which citation style you are using? Also, do you by any chance have the ISBN numbers for the books in question? I would just like to make sure that I am advising you correctly.

Many thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Postby skittle » 2012-08-07 15:07

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for the tip. I held off using Collected Work because it's not a collection of articles by diverse authors.

The books I'm thinking of tend to be historical works which have needed editing (or translating and editing).

Here are some examples:

978-0803277755 (single book with translator and editor)
978-0198245889 (again, single book, this time with two editors)

Simon
skittle

Postby skittle » 2012-08-07 15:36

ps: I was just using the standard citation style.

Jennifer Schultz wrote:Hi Simon,

Thanks for your question! If you need to list both an author and an editor, I would recommend changing the reference type to Collected Work, since you then have a field specifically for the author and for the editor.

May I ask which citation style you are using? Also, do you by any chance have the ISBN numbers for the books in question? I would just like to make sure that I am advising you correctly.

Many thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Jennifer
skittle

Postby Patrick Hilt » 2012-08-08 09:08

Hi Simon,

if you click on the text with the publication type

you can change the type. In the new window, if you select one of the types, on the right hand side you can see what it is to be used for exactly:

Regards,
Patrick
Patrick Hilt
Citavi Customer Service

Re: Books with an author and an editor  Topic is solved

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2012-08-08 09:45

Hi Simon,

I hope you don't mind if I add to Patrick's response.

The name "Collected Work" is perhaps a bit misleading, since this reference type is meant exactly for the types of works you described. The most common case would naturally be the collected works of a particular person, i.e. The Collected Writings of Thomas Jefferson. However, this reference type is also meant for other works with a single author and one or more editors. In contrast, the Edited Book reference type was designed for collections of articles by diverse authors.

For the work by Hume, I would suggest the following:
  1. Click the name of the reference type to change it:

2. Then, select Collected Work as the reference type. Copy the editor names into the Editor field. You'll notice that the editor names are now included in the preview for the bibliographic citation:

The book with the translator is a bit trickier, since we don't have a specific field for this role. Probably the best way to deal with this is to enter the statement about the translation in the Title supplement field as you would like it to appear in your bibliography:

If you enter the translator name in the Collaborators field, it won't appear in your bibliography (at least not in most citation styles), but it will let you link the name of the translator to this title. This can be useful if you later use the List view to see other works this translator has translated.

Hope this helps! Please let us know if any other questions come up.

Best regards,
Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Postby skittle » 2012-08-08 09:55

Yep that does help, thank you.

I should've paid more attention to the documentation rather than the name of the type.
skittle

Return to Citavi 3 Support (English)