This forum is read-only - Please use our new Citavi Forum instead.
Dieses Forum dient nur zur Recherche - Bitte nutzen Sie das neue Citavi Forum für Ihre Fragen.

Importing from BibTeX (Zotero)? Topic is solved

Got questions about Citavi 3? The Citavi team and other users are happy to help.

Importing from BibTeX (Zotero)?

Postby skittle » 2012-08-03 11:23

System information: [ Citavi Version 3.2, Windows Vista, English, Other browser, MS Office 2007, - ]

Hi,

I'm trying to switch from Zotero to Citavi, but I'm having a couple of problems importing items when using a BibTex file.

First, using a test file with just one item in it, I'm finding that all the notes stored in Zotero (which come through with BibTeX key 'annote') are put into the "Notes" section of the Reference tab.

This is definitely better than them not coming through, but is there any way to change this? For these Zotero notes are generally user-taken notes on the item as opposed to notes about the reference itself. They seem to match more with Citavi's 'Comment' data-type which is found under the 'Quotations' tab. One problem with them coming where they do is that if an item has multiple notes, they are all merged into one.

Is there a way to have entries in the BibTeX file get put into this 'Comments' field? I can easily use a different BibTeX key as it is easy enough to manipulate the BibTeX file post-Zotero export.

Second, Citavi crashes, or rather, just hangs, when I try to import my whole collection of references. The file is not that big, 1.5 Mb, and it contains 3099 references. But I've tried a much smaller one (170 references) and that also crashed Citavi. Has anyone else experienced this?

Regards

Simon
skittle

Re: Importing from BibTeX (Zotero)?

Postby Patrick Hilt » 2012-08-03 11:49

Hi Simon,

would you mind sending me your BibTeX-File?
That would make it easier to find (and fix) the problem, especially with the hanging.

To transfer the file, please use our secure upload service. So that we can match the files to the issue, please put the address of this page in the subject of the message.

Regards,
Patrick
Patrick Hilt
Citavi Customer Service

Postby skittle » 2012-08-03 14:23

Yep no problem.

File is uploaded.
skittle

Postby Patrick Hilt » 2012-08-03 15:12

Hi Simon,

There is a bug in Citavi 3.2.0 which causes the import to loop if the name of a pdf file meets a certain condition. It is fixed in Citavi 3.2.3 (beta). Please get it from here: http://www.citavi.com/sub/setup/beta/CitaviSetup.exe. It has been out since May 15, so it should be pretty safe.

I will try to create an import filter for you which hopefully imports the annote-field as a comment to the title. So far, I have managed to import annote items as single Direct Quotations - I guess that is not what you want, though:

We will have to wait until Monday since our import-export guru Marc (as in MARC21) has already left.

Regards,
Patrick
Patrick Hilt
Citavi Customer Service

Postby skittle » 2012-08-03 20:25

Hey,

Thanks so much, I really appreciate you looking into it.

You're right in that, ideally, those comments would be best as 'Comments'. If they could go in there that would be absolutely fantastic.

I also have a question on a similar topic: Can Citavi import the page count from some field in the BibTeX file? Zotero doesn't support page count (one reason I'm trying to move over to Citavi), but I've been storing it in the 'Copyright' field (because Zotero doesn't support custom fields either). (I could rename the field to whatever Citavi needs).

Thanks so much

Simon
skittle

Postby Patrick Hilt » 2012-08-04 07:06

Hello Simon,

Yes, Citavi has got a field for the page count. You can show it on the reference tab by clicking on More fields:

I will check with Marc if it can be imported. It won't be necessary to move the content to another field in Zotero.

Regards,
Patrick
Patrick Hilt
Citavi Customer Service

Re: Importing from BibTeX (Zotero)?  Topic is solved

Postby Patrick Hilt » 2012-08-06 10:40

Hi Simon,

we have created a Citavi project with the requested adaptations.

1. Annote items are introduced as single Comments
2. The content of copyright is saved in the field Page count

I have sent it to your email address.

Now you might want to do the following:
1. Add missing information. 9 references in your project are missing author and title information. This is because Citavi automatically adds a new Conference Proceedings item for every inconference (and any other in...) item it imports. If the inconference item does not contain the necessary information, the new Conference Proceedings item will be quite empty.
2. Go to the Lists > Persons and organizations menu and merge authors that are introduced several times because the import file contained different versions of their names:

This is what you do:
Choose the name with the correct spelling, then merge the other version(s) with the correct one. Always choose the name with the most extensive information (Here: Bermúdez, José Luis). The citation style will abbreviate the name to whatever version is appropriate.

3. Go to the publishers and periodicals lists and do the same. This will make sure that they will always appear the same way in your bibliography.

4. You may want to clean up the comment items. Give them comprehensible core statements to find them more easily, move the page information into the page range field etc.

5. If you are not yet familiar with all the features of Citavi, have a quick look at chapter 2.3 of the manual (key F1).

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask.

Regards
Patrick
Patrick Hilt
Citavi Customer Service

Postby skittle » 2012-08-06 11:31

Patrick,

Thank you so much, that is fantastic. I look forward to getting the email and trying this out.

Many kind regards

Simon
skittle

Return to Citavi 3 Support (English)